Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot log errors

• Please log in to reply

TheCreator

TheCreator

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi pal,

I did both of the things you recommended to me.No luck again.None of them helped.Do you have some other options in your mind?Aren't the audio problem and the boot problem connected?

If you don't have any options in your mind it is ok I don't want to bother you anymore I see you have lot of work on the forums.I'll try to reinstall XP again for the second time this month.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
NO problem as this is what I enjoy doing.
I'm sorry about not getting back to you sooner but been alittle under the weather today so been resting more.
Let's try another approach.

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

TheCreator

TheCreator

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I did sfc /scannow and it asked for CD.Lucky me I have it.And nothing happened again Winodows took 1 minute and 05 seconds to boot.

To be honest I did this before but I did it again because you asked me that is the least I can do.The first time sfc uninstalled me graphic card driver with no reason.I mean I didn't understand the reason.And I had to install it again.

EDIT:I think the solution is in the boot log.Even though I can't find it out :))).

Edited by TheCreator, 03 September 2009 - 08:29 PM.

trentdw

trentdw

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
being that you downloaded from vista to xp and use sp3 you got your work cut out for you.
if you had sp2 this problem could be fixed. i been through this b4. sorry cant help you
good luck

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I see no reason for boot log and sound to be one of the same.
Even so I will ask a fellow staff member who has more experience with boot logs to take a look at it for you.

TheCreator

TheCreator

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I could downgrade to sp2 if sp3 is the cause of the problem.But then I have to reinstall the drivers all over again cause the driver for the chipset (I think) is made specially for sp3.So remove sp3?

trentdw

trentdw

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
the problem with downgrading from vista to windows xp pro sp3. seems to be the kb888111 file.
even though sp3 kb888111 file is preloaded in sp3. the sound drivers are not going to install right.
even if you use windows xp pro sp3 sata edition. you can use windows xp pro sp2 sata edition
then the drivers seem to work fine. good luck

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If this is correct then once doing as you suggest then doing the SP3 update should have no bearing on the sound at that point.
The system will need to be updated from Microsoft to get all the Critical and Optional updates available.

trentdw

trentdw

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
that should work for you yes.
good luck

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

that should work for you yes.
good luck

Work for who?
I was stating that if your theory is correct then TheCreator should be able to do Windows Updates and get back to SP3 without any problems.
It is important to keep the system up to date as SP3 has security fixes to protect your system.

Advertisements

trentdw

trentdw

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
sorry did not mean works for you.i got side tracked for a second. and yes that would be correct once you get the correct
drivers installed you can upgrade to sp3

TheCreator

TheCreator

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
So I did it in wrong order?

I first installed XP than sp3 and then the drivers.I was wrong,the driver I told you about that is specially made for sp3 is MS-UAA not chipset.So what steps should I made?Uninstall sp3? But if I do that then I have to unistall MS-UAA driver which is said that I should install it before I install other drivers.So everything is messing up.Little hint here please?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Simplest is to format and start over. This would assure no left over drivers on the system.

TheCreator

TheCreator

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok thank you very much.

So install windows without sp3?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes if you have your XP disk and it came with SP2 then install that.
Make sure then everything including sound is working.
Once that is all running correctly then you do the windows updates
One will be SP3 and if everything works as trentdw suggests then your sound should remain intact and working correctly.