Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Floppy Disk Fail (40) I have tried all of the other solutions, nothing

• Please log in to reply

yoda76

yoda76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Well I'm going to make one last attempt to get this working, especially since it finally installed that new software for nvidia.
I'll let you know how it goes.

But I'm leaning towards the fact that my card is done as well.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Unless one of the other Techs has a secret I don't see any other option at this point.
We have tried everything, uninstalled, reinstalled, updated, added, taken out and nothing wants to work with the current GPU.

yoda76

yoda76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Well it froze on me today, while I was networking, didn't even touch a game.

Some good news though is that it left me a blue screen, here it is:
Posted Image

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
nv4_disp
Again it is the Nividia driver causing the problem.

My suggestion is to buy a new card and anything other then a Nvidia chipset.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
As far as the floppy problem, I can't believe we haven't suggested updating the BIOS yet. (Instructions can be found on that page.)

The "infinite loop" problem is fairly common. 90% of the time, it's due to improperly installed drivers. Are you sure you followed my instructions in this post exactly?

The other 10% of the time, a reinstall of Windows typically fixes the problem. Being a Dell, your computer probably didn't come with an XP disc, but it probably came with recovery disks. Back up all of your important data, and use those to restore your computer.

Note that this particular error is almost always a driver issue. A failing video card typically will not produce this error.

yoda76

yoda76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I did follow your instructions exactly.

And I really don't want to restore my system AGAIN..... I just did that about 1 month ago.

Edited by yoda76, 04 September 2009 - 05:29 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Take a look at this article HERE
Nvidia had what is known as a Silent Recall on the series 8 video chips installed on laptops. You have a 8800GT card which falls in that series.
If they had a problem with laptops who's to say the problem did not cross over to their GPU's?
I understand this will cause some criticizing from other techs but I suggested back on post 7 that you may have a failing card. I still say replace the card with another card preferrably not a Nvidia chipset card.

yoda76

yoda76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I think my GPU is still under warranty from dell. What would you reccommend?
Also the other more top of the line gpu's would be the ATI line. And I can't stand ATI, would it be better if I went with an nvidia GTS or something, or would you say strictly no nvidia.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

If they had a problem with laptops who's to say the problem did not cross over to their GPU's?

Well, the fact that the mobile GPUs are totally different than the desktop GPUs, the fact that the mobile GPUs were failing due to inadequate laptop cooling, the fact that there have been no reports of unusual failures of the desktop GPUs, and the fact that the GPU used in the 8800GT, the G92, is incredibly reliable and is still used today in the GTS 250 all are indicators that the problem doesn't affect desktop GPUs.

I understand this will cause some criticizing from other techs but I suggested back on post 7 that you may have a failing card. I still say replace the card with another card preferrably not a Nvidia chipset card.

If the card has actually failed, which is unlikely given the error message you are receiving, there is no reason to avoid the #1 discrete video card manufacturer in the world (NVIDIA) when choosing a replacement. As with anything mass produced, there will be lemons, and as with all electronics, even the best video cards will eventually fail. You are just as likely to receive a bad ATI card as a bad NVIDIA card.

yoda76, you say you restored your system about a month ago. Immediately following restoring the system, did you start experiencing problems, or was it a while later before problems surfaced?

yoda76

yoda76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
It was a while after that my computer had problems, which would have been when I posted on geekstogo.

I also was talking to a woman on dell support and she uninstalled drivers and did basically what I have done already, but they don't listen. Anyway a blue screen appeared, but the stop code was different.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

QUOTE (rshaffer61 @ Sep 5 2009, 12:21 PM) *
Well, the fact that the mobile GPUs are totally different than the desktop GPUs, the fact that the mobile GPUs were failing due to inadequate laptop cooling, the fact that there have been no reports of unusual failures of the desktop GPUs, and the fact that the GPU used in the 8800GT, the G92, is incredibly reliable and is still used today in the GTS 250 all are indicators that the problem doesn't affect desktop GPUs.

QUOTE (rshaffer61 @ Sep 5 2009, 12:21 PM) *
If the card has actually failed, which is unlikely given the error message you are receiving, there is no reason to avoid the #1 discrete video card manufacturer in the world (NVIDIA) when choosing a replacement. As with anything mass produced, there will be lemons, and as with all electronics, even the best video cards will eventually fail. You are just as likely to receive a bad ATI card as a bad NVIDIA card.

I see absolutely nor reason for arguing with another knowledgeable Tech Staff member instead of focusing on helping the original poster.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm not saying ignore but to change the flavor.
I just see no reason to continue to use this card short of doing a repair installation which is almost impossible without a Original OS disk and since this is a Dell system with no recovery disk available I see no other option.
We could uninstall the driver and the card itself and run the onboard if it is present.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Thank you for your post, Broni, which was clearly "focusing on helping the original poster." I apologize for correcting misleading/wrong information, which could have led the original poster (or anyone who reads this topic) to the wrong conclusions. Obviously, I can see how you can say that this was not in the interest of helping him/her.

Anyways, the fact that it took a while after a restore was performed before problems began suggests that it is a software and/or driver problem, not a hardware problem. (Bad hardware is bad hardware, system restore or no system restore.) The fact that there are no issues in Safe Mode also supports this hypothesis.

Before resorting to a system restore, here's something you can try:

Click on the Start button, and then click Run.... Type msconfig, and click OK. Select Diagnostic Startup on the General tab, and then click Apply. Next, click Close. Restart the computer, and see if the problem persists.

yoda76

yoda76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Thank you for your post, Broni, which was clearly "focusing on helping the original poster." I apologize for correcting misleading/wrong information, which could have led the original poster (or anyone who reads this topic) to the wrong conclusions. Obviously, I can see how you can say that this was not in the interest of helping him/her.

Anyways, the fact that it took a while after a restore was performed before problems began suggests that it is a software and/or driver problem, not a hardware problem. (Bad hardware is bad hardware, system restore or no system restore.) The fact that there are no issues in Safe Mode also supports this hypothesis.

Before resorting to a system restore, here's something you can try:

Click on the Start button, and then click Run.... Type msconfig, and click OK. Select Diagnostic Startup on the General tab, and then click Apply. Next, click Close. Restart the computer, and see if the problem persists.

Sorry that I haven't been on in a while. I will try that, as soon as I get a mouse....
I returned my newer one, because I have never liked it. And I ordered a replacement for the one I used to have. So I will be able to try this in about 2 days.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We will continue to monitor for results.