Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Any point in 64-bit?

• Please log in to reply

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Specs:

Intel Pentium T2730 @ 1.73GHz (64-bit support)
2GB DDR2 RAM
5400RPM HDD
Intel GMA X3100

The only apps I really use are Windows Live Messenger, iTunes, Firefox, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Microsoft Office 2007, VLC Player, WinRAR, and then heavy downloading, moving large files, etc..

Would any of those take advantage of 64-bit? Would it just be faster overall (the OS) and if I run a 32-bit app on a 64-bit OS (emulation), will it run slower than on a 32-bit OS?

Just wondering, as the recommendations for 32-bit are 1GB RAM, and 2GB for 64-bit.

Thanks.

Edit: One more question.

I was wondering...if I get Home Premium, will it run faster and/or have less things installed than Ultimate, as I don't really need all the features of Ultimate (plus it will be cheaper :))

Edited by Supercalifragilistic, 15 September 2009 - 02:03 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Vista's best performing variation is the Ultimate. All of the other variations are simply cut-down Ultimate versions to fit with the specs. You'll find Home Premium will run slower than Ultimate does, for reasons that everybody's noticed, nobody can explain and Microsoft deny all knowledge of.

Not all programs work in a 64-bit environment, but the primary reason for more than 64-bit is for a system that has more than 4Gb of memory installed, since a 32-bit operating system cannot see it all. 64-bit is the way of the future but for what you use you don't need 64-bit.

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Thanks for the reply Neil!

Will 32-bit apps run faster on a 32-bit OS, and will the OS itself use less resources?