Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer wont stop freezing

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It should be the oldest entry for IE8.
Try this. .. Install Fire Fox and see if the problem happens with it.

Advertisements

skrinkles

skrinkles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
i d/led fire fox and its still freezing i think sometimes worse now

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please download JavaRa from the link in my signature below to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder
* Run JavaRa.exe, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
* Accept any prompts.
* Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
* Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button. Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.

How is your system running now? Is it running correctly through all this?
It is now just the internet that you are having problems with correct?

skrinkles

skrinkles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
ok installed the java , my comp laggs a bit when my desk top opens but while doing all the steps its working like it should so yes . its the internet im assuming is making my comp freeze up and if i could just get the freezing to stop so i can do all the things i used to i would be extremly happy and what about yahoo messenger , about the freezing of the web cams would that have anything to do with the internet? also my windows media player will also freeze when im on a site would internet cause that to?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Internet could cause these issues and that can be caused by the speed you are receiving.
It also could be what type of internet you have... Dial up, DSL, cable. Satellite, T1 or T3
The other issue is you only have 512 megs of memory
Although in the past this may have been enough with the amount of programs running both what you start and the autoruns could be causing a issue with system freezing.
The so called sweet spot for XP is at 1 gig of memory.
I would suggest upgrading to that to help with a lot of the problems.
The Autoruns have been taken care of when I firsy started assisting you so that should not be a issue anymore.
I also had you run TFC and [/b] Auslogics Defrag[/b] which would have further straightened your system out and helped it run better and faster.
So the only issues I see at this point is the amount of memory you currently have and the possibility the signal coming from your ISP may be low.
I currently am having a issue with my ISP signal so I can tell you that will play a big part in your internet being slow or freezing up.

skrinkles

skrinkles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
i have high speed cable , sowhen i upgrade to 1GB or more if its possibble and say its still freezing up then what would be a solution ?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We would then consider a parallel installation first and then if that does not fix the problem we would have to go to a backup, format and fresh install to correct everything.

Just to help with the memory issue:
Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.