Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

[Solved] Windows 7, onboard audio doesn't work

• Please log in to reply

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Hey, just done in install of Windows 7 (Ultimate, 64-bit) on my PC (Still running XP on a seperate partition) and I noticed I wasn't getting any sound.

After fiddling around with audio settings for a bit, I made no progress... Long story short, I got frustrated and took out the jack from the rear of my computer and plugged it into the jack on the front of my case... Surprisingly, this worked.

When I done this, I also noticed that in the audio mixer there was a dropdown menu to choose "Speakers" or "Digital Audio (S/PDIF)", but it sets itself to Digital automatically, with no drop down menu, when I plug the speakers into the rear.

I've tried installing the audio drivers from my motherboards disc, and the device manager says all my audio stuff is working fine, but it also says the driver is a Windows driver, so I dunno..

Any ideas?

My system:
Antec Nine Hundred Advanced Gaming Case (Using the case's front jack)
abit IP35 Pro motherboard
Logitech X-540 Speakers
Intel Pendium D @ 3.5Ghz
XFX Alpha Dog 8800GT
2gb Corsair DDR2 RAM
Corsair HX-620W PSU

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

I'm a little desperate about fixing this, because I want to use Windows 7 rather than XP, because I don't want to be 2 DirectX's behind. And honestly, seems like a vast improvement over Vista, thus far.

EDIT:
Slight bit of progress..

I was in Device Manager, and right clicked my audio device and chose to update driver. I chose the location of the driver to update with myself - navigated to my driver disc, and into the audio folder. In here I had a few options, and ultimately chose "Vista64" as I guess it was the closest to 7 64 :). Anyway, it installed the drivers, and it's now recognising them as Realtek ones.

Positives from this: It's recognising my speakers now. Audio mixer says they're there.
Cons: No sound yet. Although, I did just install a driver, so I think I should restart... I'll get back to you on this :)

Another EDIT:

Okay, I solved my problem. I feel a bit stupid having posted here, and solving it myself - but less work for you guys, eh.

Solution:
My problem had two parts. Or it could have been just one. In any case - part 1 was the driver. But considering part 2, this may not have been an issue.

Part 2: I opened up the Realtek audio manager thing once it was installed and set it from Stereo, to 5.1 (as it should be). I hit the test button, and nothing happened for the L speaker... nothing for the R... but the rear left, rear right, center, and sub all worked. I looked at the jack info, and my L/R speakers were plugged into the wrong jack. Strange thing is though, it was the right jack for when I was using XP... So either i've been using the wrong jack all along (The two jacks did have a similar colour..), or the Vista version of the driver had a slight problem. I'm not sure.

Anyway, all good now.

Thanks,
Seltox.

Edited by Seltox, 20 October 2009 - 04:44 AM.

Advertisements