Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Defrag not complete

• Please log in to reply

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
It is not there.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Something is just not right here.
The system shows it is installed but yet it is not showing anyplace where it should be.
I'm going to ask another Tech to take a look at this and see what they think.
Be patient and we will figure this out. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK here we go..
First of all did you download SP3 or did you have it already?

Second I need a screenshot of your windows folder as this doesn't sound right.
Defrag doesn't work the way you are saying.

Third when you said you tried to attach a folder it compressed it.
What exactly are you talking about.

Fourth is the printer problem that I'm still not understanding.

Can you take one issue at a time and let's see what is going on?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you did not download or update the system with SP3 then that is why it will not uninstall.
I don't need screenshots of everything just of the main problem. One screenshot should be able to identify the problem.
I'm not understanding why a folder would need to be uploaded as this would do us no good in resolving a issue. A folder would potentially contain private information that we would not and do not need. Again a screenshot of the folder when it is open should be fine.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
With the folder issue i would suggest opening the folder up and taking a screenshot.
Only need one so it should work fine.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
First- SP3 came in as an automatic update. Now, I can not find it.

Second- Attaching a screenshot. There is almost a full screen between the top of this screen and the bottom of the next.

[attachment=35332:scrrenshot5.JPG]

Third- Was trying to send a screenshot the wrong way.

Fourth- Printer started sending a blank page starting this month when I try to print from Word 97, part of my Office 97. Have been reading other peoples issues similar to mine. On most resolved issues, taking SP3 out solved the issue.

I uninstalled the Office 97 program and did a defrag before reinstalling it. The report from defrag stated a file could not be defraged and a red line was showing on the graph. As I was browsing folders to find culprit, I found the Windows folder to be in this shape.

Edited by tjmcs, 26 October 2009 - 02:26 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Folder problem:

With folder open then go to top of window and click on View
Then scroll down to Arrange Icons By
Then click on Name
Does this straighten them out now?

Next the SP3 problem is not normal for a update. It really is normal for a Slipstream installation or a install of OS and it was included with installation. When was the last time the system was installed fresh and what disk did you use to install with?

Please run the defrag program you have stated and take a screenshot when the red line is showing. Attach that screenshot with your next reply.

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Screenshot of defrag graph.

[attachment=35334:defrag_screenshot.JPG]

Arrange icons worked perfectly. :)

SP3 was automatic update. XP was reinstalled after reformat by computer shop over two years ago. I know nothing about the disk used.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok on defrag are you talking about those couple of little slivers of red in the blue?

XP was loaded by a shop so it is possible they used a XP with SP3 slipstreamed into it?
This would answer why it is not showing up in the places it should be.

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
On graph; yes, the two red lines.

On XP; I think it was reformatted before SP3 came out. I have the disk. Told the man I wanted one just for good measure and he gave it to me. Is there a way to check the disk?

Started to run the disk again just to take it back to that state but the message came up telling me I would lose files and programs, so I stopped.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK the defrag issue is resolved. The red lines you see are normal. There will always be some files that it cannot move or defrag. That is of no worry and will not affect the operation of the system.

Go HERE and download Autostreamer version 1.0.33
Install it and then run it.
Browse your XP CD and it should tell you what version of SP is included on the disk.
Let me know if this helps.

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Thank you for defrag info. Never occured to me to arrange files.

SP is SP1.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm strange.
This is just not making any sense.
Let me ask how is the system running at this point with the exception of the printer issue?

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Seems to be fine.

Strange issue. I can save word doc from this computer to a disk and print it on another computer. Also, I can save word doc from another computer and print it on this one. Both computers running identical programs, seperate printers. I just can not print a word doc from this computer on its attached printer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Will any other document print besides word?