Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help! Need to downgrade BIOS

• Please log in to reply

swimtoview

swimtoview

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all!

I just purchased an Acer Aspire One D250-1842. 1g ram, 250g hdd model.

I really need to downgrade the BIOS from the current 1.13 to .3304 to use the computer for what it was purchased for, but the machine will not let me at this time. I've created a USB DOS boot disk and have tried to flash the BIOS after booting into DOS to no avail. This is the error I get:

Initializing

File Loading 100%

Current BIOS Model name : KAV60
New BIOS Model name : ZG5

Current BIOS version: V1.13
New BIOS version: v0.3304

Protection: The ROM file is not match this platform.
Error: The new image file is not support flash utility.

Please, any help I can get is greatly appreciated. I really have no need for this computer if I cannot perform this downgrade.

Thanks so much for your time -

Aaron

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Why do you need to downgrade the BIOS? What did you buy the computer for?
As a general rule you can't usually downgrade them, since it's not a officially supported route.

swimtoview

swimtoview

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Neil,

Thanks for looking in. I bought the machine to experiment with installing Mac OSX on the Acer. I've seen quite a few online that have done it successfully and the best tutorial I found on it required asked for that BIOS. Advice on an install for this particular BIOS maybe???

This is the tutorial I was looking to follow...Well...not sure if I can post a link, but if you Google "Venera7, install mac on acer" it will be the first result.

I'm not fixed on this tutorial so if it's possible on this BIOS, I can attempt it that way.

Thanks again -

A

PS...I have 2 Macs at home now (for audio & video production) and purchased the OSX to run on the Acer.

swimtoview

swimtoview

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry...I realize it voids my warranty and am ok with that. I grew up a tech on Windows machines and then a tech at Apple so I can support the machine once I'm installed.

This install is something I've not ever attempted however.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The warranty would be hardware based, not software based. Therefore just because it comes with Windows doesn't mean you have to stick with it. If you were to phone up for support that's software based you'd get told to stick Windows back on it before they'd help you.

Anyway the tutorial you mention features an Acer Aspire One A120. You mention you've bought a D250 so it isn't even the same model. Therefore that BIOS will never work.