Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking at new laptops - need advice

• Please log in to reply

lucidone

lucidone

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi -

I currently have an HP Pavilion dv6000 notebook, which I've had for 4 years and runs on XP. Under a recall, the motherboard, speakers, and one usb port were replaced a few years ago. I really like this laptop, but recently lost my speakers (although the headphone jacks both work) and I experience screen brightness flickering (regardless of battery vs. adapter power). I was interested in upgrading the hard drive and memory until the speaker problem came up. I've read that this can be anything from a short in the headphone jack to a problem with the power ribbon.

Now that Windows 7 is out, I'm tempted to just buy a new laptop all together. I've been happy with HP thus far, but have read horror stories regarding their customer service and quality of parts. My husband recently purchased a Dell and is happy with it, but again, upon doing some research, I've read many complaints about them, and remember from years and years ago that they were a nightmare company to deal with. I don't know anything about Acer, Asus, Toshiba, or Sony, and have been burned so badly by Gateway that I don't care if they're the greatest company on the planet now - I will not buy from them.

So what would you guys recommend? And if you recommend "go new," then which company?

Also, if I buy a new laptop, I'm thinking of donating this one to my boss for use at work b/c we need a laptop there with a wireless networking card and the budget is beyond tight (layoffs and such). In that event, the existing hard drive and memory would suffice, but the speaker issue would probably need to be resolved - would that be more trouble for her than it's worth?

Thank you so much for your help. I always get good advice here! ^_^

Advertisements

lucidone

lucidone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Please, please help! I'm not asking for you to find me a new computer...just point me in the right direction. I'm going out to the stores after work tonight so any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again. :-)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
With the fact you have had a HP and it has been good then I would suggest the same as a replacement.
The issues you had were most likely a isolated problem and it looks like HP corrected them for you.
I personally would stay away from Lenovo systems.
My preference for what you are asking would be in the following order.
HP\Compaq
Toshiba
Dell

I hope this helps.
Depending on what you use it for then Windows 7 Home should be good for you.