Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2nd HDD Wont show up in My Computer

• Please log in to reply

Windows 95

Windows 95

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
I just took my Hard drive (80gb Western Digital) from my not working Windows XP Home Edition computer, and installed it in my Compaq Presario 5000 running Windows ME. I belive it is in NTFS. Is there a way I can format it to a FAT HDD? I would also like to know how to give it a drive letter.

Edited by Windows 95, 02 November 2009 - 08:19 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Under Windows ME the only way you'll get that hard drive to be seen is if format it from a boot disk. Those useful tools such as Fdisk and Format are what you need.

This article will tell you how to do it. You need a floppy, a Win98 boot disk (from bootdisk.com) and the drive you want to format as the ONLY drive connected. This ensures you can only format that one drive and not accidentally wipe something else out.
http://www.pctechgui...rive_Format.htm