Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP wont recognize my SATA Connect card

• Please log in to reply

WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've noticed that people post a lot of specs when asking for help but I don't really know how to find that information. If it's needed and someone can tell me how to locate it I'll post it no problem.

My computer is a Compaq Presario SR2503WM and I am running Windows XP Media Center 2005. As far as I know the only thing that's been added, aside from the SATA card, is a video card. The SATA card number is VT6421L, E-SATA serial ATA. My old computer just stopped working one day and so my brother gave me a computer he wasn't using anymore. Since everything was on the HDD in my old computer I wanted to move it to the new computer. The motherboard has no SATA ports so I had to get this card. When I first got this computer it had Linux Ubuntu installed on it and I was able to access the HDD through the SATA card. (I found it to much of a hassle to install things on linux and the software I use regularly isn't compatible anyway so I went back to windows.) The box says that it's plug and play and compatible with Windows XP but the drive connected to the card is not accessible at all. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!!

Honestly I would love my old computer back so I am going to also post what happened to that in the hopes that maybe I wont have to fight with the SR2503WM. (The SATA card not being recognized isn't the only issue I am having with it right now.) My old computer was an HP Media Center PC m7664x. I shut it down to move it across the room and when I plugged everything back up and went to turn it on, nothing. I just couldn't get it to come back on at all. Aside from my computer there are about four other computers in my house so I tested the power cord and power on switch/button with other computers and they worked fine. I don't know if this has anything to do with it but I rarely ever turned the computer off and I had it setup to automatically turn on if there was a power failure. So basically the computer was always running. I don't know what other information I could give you about it since it wont turn on. I know that's rather vague and leaves probably a million possibilities but hopefully someone might have an idea what's going on with it. Even if it's not something I can fix, I would love know why it happened.

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps, tries to help or even simply reads my post. :)

Advertisements