Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bios update or windows 7 clean install...

• Please log in to reply

mforrest

mforrest

• Pip
  • 3 posts
dear geeks...

i've got some issues with windows XP pro on my asus P4C800-E mobo. i installed 4 gbs of ram about six months ago but the system only shows a bit over 2... moreover, i've not been able to install service pack 3 and gave up in disgust after reading all the hassle this operation takes... (i was informed that installing svc pack 3 would probably solve my ram issues - either that or updating the bios.

so my question is can i just buy a copy of windows 7 and clean install it on this motherboard and bypass the incredible hassle? do i need to update my bios first?

i've not tried to update the bios after reading all the confusing double talk on what to do and NOT TO DO on the asus forums... nowhere can i find a comprehensible faq on this crucial step in getting better performance out of the mobo.

i've heard that people have successfully installed win7 on the asus P4C800-E...

can anyone provide instructions or a link that may detail these particular issues?

thanks for any help.

mforrest

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,529 posts
My 1st question would be whether the total 4gb of ram was ever seen?
Actually a 32bit OS will only see 3 to 3.5gb.

Although the memory can be installed one module at a time, the best performance comes from using matched pairs of modules. What is the make/model/specs?
Sometimes if they are not identical there will be problems.

Lets see what http://<strong class...l.com</strong>/says.

I don't believe a bios update would help. BIOS updates should only be done if it will fix a particular problem on the board and we do not know that yet.

Have you tried re-seating the ram (pay attention to proper grounding).
Also try switching the slots that the ram is in.

Switching to windows 7 will not resolve the problem if it related to the board or mis matched ram.

123runner

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,529 posts
Just adding the manual
Manual

mforrest

mforrest

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks 123 runner,

i did get my ram thru crucial via asus's recommendation. all the sticks were the same so if some are recognized then i presume all are good... i will try reseating them - which i did at first. however, i did not try switching to different slots...

windows 7 advisor reports that this board can utilize 7 - obviously without the new visualization technology...

fingers crossed X

thanks again!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I have the same mobo...you will need to reflash the bios for the ram to register properly...and even then it will only show about 3 GB as 123Runner said...I would advise you to use the asus live updater instead of the floppy method prior to installing windows 7...
what video card do you have installed...
this should help turn on the eye candy using 7
8x agp card with a gig of onboard DDR2ram for $99.00...HERE

mforrest

mforrest

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks for the feedback happyrock,

my video card is an Asus v9520 Magic v 44.03 which i believe is a Geforce FX 5200 with 128MB Memory.

you are a life saver, since i would spend hours trying to sus out a better card to mount prior to updating my bios and installing win 7

i'm going to have to print all the details out then pick a day i have off and try and flash the bios... i'm naturally spooked after all the borked mobo's i've read about after flash bios attempts... i tried to save my documents and settings using backup (in programs/accessories/systems) but it was too large for my 16gig thumbdrive... my only other alternative is to save it to an external hd.

this is my main computer and i'd hate to loose it...

does asus live updater operate from windows XP and utilize the internet?

thanks again for the help.

i'm looking at that video card.

mforrest

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

does asus live updater operate from windows XP and utilize the internet?

yep...The only thing I highly recommend is a battery backup just to be safe...that way if your power drops the flash would continue...it only takes about 20 seconds or so to flash the bios but if you dropped power or had any kind of power hiccup during those 20 seconds you can have serious problems..
the live updater can be installed from the motherboard cd that came with the mobo...

i tried to save my documents and settings using backup (in programs/accessories/systems) but it was too large for my 16gig thumbdrive... my only other alternative is to save it to an external hd.

no...you can use nero or whatever burning program you have to burn the data to cd's or dvd's...
HEADS UP...just make sure a different computer other than the one you burned them with can read them...if you use drag to disk or incd or any other packet writing programs other computers may or may not be able to read them even though the one you burned them with does...

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,529 posts
Thanks happyrock on the bios update fix. I didn't want to go there till it was a positive thing. I was actually doing a search on that when you responded.
123runner