Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp dies at mup.sys repair option not available from cd

• Please log in to reply

jwizardc

jwizardc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My main development box died during a storm. I guess it is time to replace the surge protector.
When booting, it reported the 'file missing or corrupt \windows\system\config' error.
I followed the steps on the Microsoft website to copy a set of registry files from the restore directory.
Now, it tries to boot; I can f8 and get the usual startup options. However, no matter what I try, it gets to mup.sys and reboots. No noticeable hang or delay, just resets.
I have tried to do a repair install from the XP cd. Windows recognizes the disk and partition, but apparently does not see the system as it does not offer the repair option; just delete the partition, reformat the partition, etc.
I have installed to another disk and can boot from it fine. Everything works, which makes me think the hardware is alright.
When I boot from the secondary drive, windows explorer can see all of the files on the primary. Ditto accessing from usb adapter on a WinVII laptop.
I really don't want to have to do a complete install and spend the next 6 months getting my configuration back to the way I like it.
I am open to suggestions. I have already tried tearing hair and rending garment. Neither technique helped.

Advertisements