Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PS3? And if so, which one?

• Please log in to reply

Junkman

Junkman

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hello, I've been meaning to get a console for a long time now, but couldn't decide on which one. If it was my only gaming machine I'd probably go for the Xbox, but since I already have a PC and my favourite games are RPGs and strategies (with the odd FPS) I think almost all the games I'd want for the Xbox I could get for the PC anyway.
Then I was gonna go for the Wii as it was supposed to be much cheaper than the PS3, and even though Nintendo has always been primary aimed at kids, the Wii has a reputation for being good for all ages. But then I noticed the prices aren't that different anymore (between the Wii and PS3), and also when I looked at the selection of Wii games, they were all lollipop-happy-fun-land-princess-cartoon-adventures; I looked through the 50 or so best sellers on Amazon and couldn't find a single game I actually wanted to play. Also, the PS3 plays DVDs, which the Wii don't.

So I'm pretty much set on the PS3. Basically I want it for less-sophisticated, fun action-type games, paritucularly multiplayer games that I can play with my girlfriend. Cool platform games, with hopefully some good atmosphere and story if possible. I do NOT like the lego games, Star Wars or Indiana Jones. Would prefer something a bit more grown-up than those

Games like Ratchet and Clank and Jak and Daxter always looked interesting to me, though I haven't tried them. Plus, maybe I can finally see what all the fuss is about with the Final Fantasy series... I'm really not into FPSes very much, especially the serious army/soldier ones like Call of Duty.
So this thread is to ask for finaly confirmation that the PS3 is the one for me, and also to ask WHICH PS3 I should get. I've read articles saying the older 80Gb one will play old PS2 games (or at least most of them), but I think maybe that information is outdated now, and that was the OLD old 80Gb version, and this is no longer true for the most recent 80Gb version? I'm thinking the 120Gb Slim is probably the best for me, and that is also the cheapest available for me (in Denmark).

And while I'm here, an introductory question I've been wondering about for a long time. What is harddisk for on a console? The last console I played on was the original PS, and before that the old Megadrive, and with those you just plug the game in and go. So other than for storing saved games, what exactly can you use the storage for?

Sorry for the mildly incoherent post, but it's been a long day. To summarise, I'm mostly interested in the differences between the models of PS3 and peoples opinion on which is best, but if anyone wants to make a last-ditch attempt to convince me to go for either the Wii or the Xbox then please do, but bear in mind my reasoning given above.

Thankyou for reading :)

Edited by Junkman, 22 December 2009 - 11:04 AM.

Advertisements

litena07

litena07

• Pip
  • 1 posts
2 player PS3 games?
I'm interested in buying a few 2 player games for the PS3. I have a 63" Plasma downstairs and think it would be fun to own a few games that are 2 player. Note: they must be multiplayer on 1 screen, not over Lan or internet. I have Motorstorm Pacific Rift that has 2 player split screen and am looking for maybe a shooter type game. Any suggestions?

lilj1123

lilj1123

• Pip
  • 3 posts
ok black ops is good if you have a big T.V with HD but its one of the worst online games outher then that MW2 but in black ops you get to team up with friends to take out bot

hope this helped