Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First time building a desktop PC.

• Please log in to reply

Erolunai

Erolunai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
*was juuuuust about to click on the purchase button...*
Alright, now I just have to know before I purchase, should I get the modular version, or the non-modular?
I really want to get this ordered with no worries ^^;

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Get the modular one, like I stated before... it will be less mess inside your computer case which allows for better airflow and a cleaner look. Other than that... they are pretty much identical. I think the prices are even the same... which is odd.

Sorry, don't worry... everything else is good to go. Go modular... it's better.

Erolunai

Erolunai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
The modular is apparently both a dollar cheaper, and offers $5 more in the rebate :)

I am most -certainly- loving this though! even with the nervousness, that just makes things more exciting ;3

And yes, it is quite cold out here, I imagine if I'm ever worried about overheating for any particular reason I could just open my window and put my room on the deep freeze for a few minutes. X3

...*hovers mouse over the buy button*
There is... one thing still bothering me... out of the friends I had asked for advice, one thinks I'm over-spending on the graphics card, that there's not much difference in game quality, yet supposedly, with no reviews, it's supposed to be unreliable - there's no guarantee that it will work well, i.e. not break or cause problems. >_< it's hard to avoid anxious feelings now, I don't like disappointing anybody, so I'm easily influenced, but I'm satisfied with what has been chosen so far...

http://www.newegg.ca...1-005-_-Product

Edited by Erolunai, 28 January 2010 - 01:32 AM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Well, your friend does have a point to a certain extent. Sometimes upgrading to a particular card over the other doesn't make a huge difference. Going with the more expensive card will gain you an extra few Frames Per Second and will ensure a longer period of time before having to upgrade as new games coming out are more and more demanding. You have the money ready, so I say go with the 5770. If you really need the money you can save for something else important or that is a higher priority in your life like school, family, religion, etc... then go with the cheaper card. Like I've said, both cards are very nice and you will be very happy.

In a nutshell, if you have the extra dollars... go with the newer better card. P.S. The reason it doesn't have any reviews is because it was probably recently sold out, so when they relist it on Newegg, it shows no reviews.

There are plenty of videos on youtube I'm sure about both cards, and Tom's Hardware does excellent reviews and shares graphs. Look at this comparison of the 4870, GTX 260 and the 5770. It states the 5770 is about the same as the 4870, BUT the 4870 DOESN'T OFFER DIRECTX 11... and this is key.

Erolunai

Erolunai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Alright!
I am nearly done aaand...
...wait...
Extended warranty? $20 for one year, $35 for two years for the graphics card...

I'm sorry for being... well, coming up with more and more things to ask about when it's almost done, I'm so anxious to order it XD
This is the last thing, seriously. I'm getting the Sapphire 5770. ^^

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Well, the card should come with it's own manufacturer's warranty. I guess the extended warranty is where you would be able to return it to Newegg instead of to Sapphire. Sapphire's warranty according to Newegg is 2 year limited. All the components you have selected come with at least a 1 year manufacturers warranty, and in many cases more than that.

Buying the extended warranty is up to you. That is all really up to the individual really.

P.S. I'm going to bed, I'll check in on you tomorrow. Good luck, order it already! lol

Edited by Ferrari, 28 January 2010 - 02:22 AM.

Erolunai

Erolunai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Alright, alright, it's ordered! And I already can't wait XD
Well, I guess while I wait, I'll make sure everything is nice and clean and ready for it all, and make some arrangements so they don't leave components out in the snow =.=
Thank you again! I'll be sure to take pictures once everything arrives and is ready for assembly! :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Awesome! Pictures are always good. When it is all said and done, you have to post pictures too, my rule. :)

Erolunai

Erolunai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I've come into a bit of a snag, admittedly...
I'm volunteering for a group doing some work with programming for a certain project, and the lead programmer has told me that, well, an ATI card - the radeon HD 5770 that I bought - just won't work with openGL.
He wants me to return it, and get an nvidia card in return... x.x
I feel absolutely horrendous at this point, and I'm really, really not sure what to do... if I do return it, it feels like it'll be another whole month before I can get my new computer up and running...

Edit:
Panic mode over.
*sigh* it was still an absolute shock though. With the combination of this being my first comp I put together myself, putting a lot of saved up money into it, looking forward to it -so- much, being so impatient for it to arrive, and being told... well, rather bluntly "You got the wrong part, if you can, return it and get another part instead" was just terrifying.

I'm still somewhat concerned about openGL, admittedly, but after talking about it further, it seems as though it may not be as much of an issue.

Though... while it's hard to explain, this is helping me realize how much more I want to learn...

If there's anything you could mention about openGL, I would be greatly appreciative. :)

Good news though, the parts should be arriving on Febuary 4th and 8th! I'm very excited!

Edited by Erolunai, 30 January 2010 - 05:30 AM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I have no idea what you friend is talking about. I don't know much about OpenGL but I can tell you for a fact your motherboard supports ATI cards and you will be able to play games undoubtedly with no problem whatsoever. The 5000 series of graphics cards have only been out about 1 month, and are among some of the best gaming cards out there. And the i5 processor and P55 chipset you will be using have only been out a couple months... all of your components are very high end, brand new, and you will have a lot of fun gaming, I promise.

Some people get all crazy about how Nvidia is better than ATI or ATI is better than Nvidia... thats what this sounds like to me.

All your parts are 100% compatible, trust me, I know what I'm doing... :) This isn't my first time. Don't sweat it.

I don't know what all this means... but I just realized something... you are a 2D or 3D programmer? From what I read about "What is OpenGL" it may be needed for 2 or 3D programming, I'm really not sure. I'm just trying to build you an awesome GAMING computer. Have a read at that wikipedia link.

Edited by Ferrari, 30 January 2010 - 04:59 PM.

Advertisements

Erolunai

Erolunai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Ahh, sorry, I didn't mean that any of the parts would be incompatible with each other...
From what I've read, and from what my friend had mentioned, ATI cards have had frequent trouble with OpenGL in the past with drivers and nasty bugs and things that nvidia got down really well.

Though, all the problems I've heard had been from 1-2 years ago, and for lower end cards.

Personally, I love 2D games, haven't played many 3D, though trying to fix that - It's the 3D that's more important here. ^^
I'm trying not to say too much about what's needed and whatnot, because I've sworn to secrecy ^^;

I'm absolutely certain that it'll be an awesome gaming computer! I hope I can do some programming and other things on it too, I guess I should have mentioned that a long time ago XD
It's my dream ever since I was younger to work on creating video games ^.^;

Edited by Erolunai, 30 January 2010 - 06:48 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Cool, let us know when you get the parts in and if you have questions about the build!

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi there,

I bet you are excited to get your parts in. I thought I would let you know a few things that may come in handy when you build your computer.
  • Always use standoffs between the motherboard and computer case. CLICK HERE to see what they look like. Your case will come with them. These ARE ONLY NEEDED WHERE YOU SCREW THE MOTHERBOARD TO THE CASE, NO WHERE ELSE.
  • Be sure to consult your motherboards manual on which RAM slots to use for the two sticks of RAM, and how to Enter The BIOS. <--should be the DELETE KEY
  • Your Motherboard has two PCI-E slots, you want to use the one closest to the CPU when only using 1 video card
  • Remember to plug the power connectors into the video card before first booting the computer
  • You want to change the AHCI Mode in the BIOS to SATA mode if it isn't already configured to do so. Please note: If for any reason you plan to install Windows XP, you must use IDE mode as XP does not have the supported drivers for SATA mode. If you only plan to have Windows 7, then don't worry about, just use SATA Mode.
  • In the BIOS, configure your boot priority to CD ROM first, then Hard Drive second. This is needed in order to boot from your Windows 7 Install Disk.
  • See how to install Windows 7 HERE
  • After the install, you may need to install drivers. Go to Start(windows logo), Right Click My Computer, Select Properties, in the window that opens, Click Device Manager in the top left hand corner. If there are any Red X's or Yellow Exclamation Points, you need to install drivers for particular item. The most common are, Ethernet, Video, and Audio.
  • Since you are a Gamer, I recommended downloading and installing your video cards latest driver from ATI's website to ensure the best possible performance, usually the drivers that come on the CD are outdated. Here is your driver for Windows 7 64bit... CLICK HERE
  • Install an Anti-Virus. Here are the recommended Free Anti-Viruses. I use Avira.
After all the drivers are installed and you protect your computer with an Anti-Virus, you can start enjoying your computer. There may be Windows Updates very frequently for a while until everything is finally up to date, they will settle down. Let me know when you get your stuff and if you have any questions. Good Luck!

Edited by Ferrari, 01 February 2010 - 08:18 AM.

Erolunai

Erolunai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
O.O!!!
The... the parts are here five days -early-!!!!
Let's see...

Antec nine hundred Case: check
Intel core i5-750 Processor: check
Gigabyte LGA 1156 motherboard: check
Radeon HD 5770 video card: check
Corsair XMS3 4 GB ram: check
OCZ Mod X stream pro power supply: check
Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB hard drive: check
LG DVD burner: check
Windows 7 OEM builder's back: check

That's all nine parts!

The only thing that hasn't arrived yet is the anti-static wrist strap...

I have my desk clean, the parts all set out, all distractions removed, and the tutorials, guides, and soon the manuals for the parts all prepared, I'm going to start cleaning through everything and make sure everything is ready...
...and now I'm getting extremely nervous about touching the parts, but still...

Ah, once again, they just left this $1200 worth of parts out on the front doorstep in the cold - I can feel that the metal of the DVD burner is quite cold - should I wait for them to warm up at all? Should I worry about the wrist strap? There's carpeting in the room, but the edges of my desk are metal...

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

There's carpeting in the room,

That's the worst place possible to build. You know how when you rub your feet across carpet and touch someone? That shock they get? That is exactly what you don't want to happen when touch the computer parts.

Can you build somewhere else, like a basement? If no, then just make sure to use the wrist strap and touch the metal inside the case or anything metal before touch the parts. And try not to shuffle your feet around.

Do you have any questions before you start?