Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing. Possible overheat but all fans work

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Option A:

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

Advertisements

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
ok will do tomorrow morning. Thanks for the help so far

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem. I will be here all day tomorrow :) :)

Edited by rshaffer61, 06 January 2010 - 07:56 PM.

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I tried the one at a time RAM and with the first stick it booted up perfectly fine. With the second one however it did the beepy thing it was doing before for a short while and THEN started up. I'm not sure if this was jus the RAMs fault but it did boot up in the end (I'm running it on it at the moment) What do you think?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK now run memtest on each stick by itself. We need to know if there is a faulty stick for sure. It sounds like the one may be having some issues and could possibly be causing some of the problems if not all of it.

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Hmm well it ran 7 passes on the stick that took longer to start up and found no errors at all. I had to stop it during the 8th pass as I had work to do, will probs be running the other stick overnight but it's not looking promising :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I will see what the results are in the morning.

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Well the other RAM ran 16 tests without error and then froze trying to restart. :) So if you don't think it's an overheat, what could it be.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
At this point it would have to be the OS.
Let me ask, are you up for a little test?
Can you start the system in Safe Mode?
Does it freeze there that you know of?
If it doesn't let's boot into Safe Mode and let it sit even over night.
If it doesn't freeze up then It's the OS and more specifically a driver when the system boots into normal mode.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We've tested
System Files... No problem
Memory.. No apparent problems
Chkdsk... found nothing wrong
Video.. still a possibility

Hard Drive diagnostics left.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

http://usasma.vox.co...iagnostics.html

Advertisements

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

At this point it would have to be the OS.
Let me ask, are you up for a little test?
Can you start the system in Safe Mode?
Does it freeze there that you know of?
If it doesn't let's boot into Safe Mode and let it sit even over night.
If it doesn't freeze up then It's the OS and more specifically a driver when the system boots into normal mode.

I can easily do this and I'll run the other thing you said but as far as I ca nsee there's not guarentee that it will freeze if I leave it overnight when it's NOT in safemode, I mean I can try it overnight in safmode tonight but wouldn't I have to just leave it on in normal mode too.

Also just for the record are ou sure it's not an overheat then, just wanted to clear this up >.>

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Also just for the record are you sure it's not an overheat then, just wanted to clear this up >.>

Send another Speedfan pic and also I would like the following to backup the Speedfan.

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

Edited by rshaffer61, 10 January 2010 - 09:55 AM.

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Sorry for late reply been pretty busy. I ran it overnight in safe mode and it froze even then. I will run the everest thing a bit later.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK since it still froze in Safe Mode that indicates either OS or hardware. Now the hardware I think we have covered that pretty good. The only questionable results were memory and video.
I still believe we have a memory issue but to fully test that you would have to run the system for a day with only one stick of memory in it at a time.
Try this and honestly it should really only take a couple of hours to test the memory for each stick.
If the system runs fine with just one stick at a time then there could be another possibility and that is a faulty memory slot since both sticks tested fine by themselves.

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Sure I can do that easily, I'll do that and the everest thigner before I post back again