Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do I have hardware-failure?

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Possibly won't support 2700 but that would be surprising if crucial said it will.

Advertisements

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I've also read lots of places that PC2700 is backward compatible.

But well - in the POST it specifically said that the computer only supports 512megs per slot. So I guess that's was how I learned that...

Just a bit strange that so many places says it's compatible with 2x1gig, and so many places selling 1gig sticks for the computer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep it doesn't make sense cause 2700 will slow down to 2100 if that is all the system will use.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Yeah, after your guidance and what I've read I would think that too. Therefore I wouldn't expect this to be the issue. And wouldn't it tell me something about wrong speed or so?

And I'm surprised to see it won't work with more than 512megs per socket, as I have seen stated so many places that the maximum memory for this comp is 2gigs with 1 in each socket. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I know, can you return it and get the 512? Even that would help to get to a gig of memory.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I'm pretty sure I can't return it as I've breached the fancy little sticker on the package... It pretty much sucks! :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Really? Because if the memory is not compatible and they say it is then i see no problem with them exchanging it.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Well the thing is that this place from where I bought it doesn't state which systems are supported. I found it elsewhere and bought a matching product from them.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ahh ok, so they probably say that you have to make sure it is compatible before you buy.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Yeah that's what I suspect...

But buttom line must be that seemingly - despite - what any place I've seen online says - the computer only support 512megs in each slot.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let me ask have you only tried one stick of the new memory at a time in the number 1 slot?

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I actually only bought 1 stick of RAM since it was my first venture into such upgrading. That proved to be a good move.

I took out the old stick and slotted in the new one in the same slot.

It counted the memory and I thought things were good...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then it counted memory and it saw all 1 gig of it then come up with the error message.
Try going into BIOS and then just Save and Exit then verify.
It may be the bios needs to be told to accept the memory. Some systems did that a couple of years back. It justt ells the BIOS it is ok to use the new memory.

Edited by rshaffer61, 28 January 2010 - 02:31 PM.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Yeah it counted until 1024megs.

Then came the error message. It also said "system halted" and I couldn't press anything.

I'll have another go at it though - see if I can get to the BIOS.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Now the error message comes rather quickly and I can't press any buttons...