Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do I have hardware-failure?

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This may be a case of the soundchip starting to fail.

Advertisements

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Oh really? You think that could be the case?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It would make sense since you have tried different drivers and the results are all the same. Everything else is working okk right?

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Yes everything else is working fine.

I have tried a lot of other SoundMax drivers, they usually install nearly all the way until the installation stops and says something like "driver couldn't be found"...

So far trying to update the nVidia audio driver has been in vain. I'll try and keep looking...

Sometimes the audio works just fine.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It sounds like the you may have to buy a add on audio card and just disable onboard to get it to work correctly.
Short of contacting Compaq\HP and maybe they can supply a drivers disk for that model (Highly unlikely give the age of the system) I think this is going to be the only way to completely finish this system completely.

Edited by rshaffer61, 10 February 2010 - 12:04 PM.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I guess I do have an add-in card, since there is a PCI-card plugged in containing the sockets for the speakers and so. Also in Everest the multimedia is divided into a "Windows sound" and a "PCI / PnP Audio" where the nVidia is stated as a PCI.

Maybe I ought to replace that then?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
With the cost of the cards now days you could probably get a much better sounding card for very little money.
Do you have any preference to manufacturer?
What kind of layout would you like 3.1, 3.1, 5.1, 7.1
What would your budget be for a replacement?
I can try to find some suggestions for you.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Yeah I've already looked a bit around and prices aren't that staggering. Again, since I imagine buildig a new system before all too long I wouldn't wanna spend too much.

I really don't have any preferences as to which make it is. I figure that it should be at least 16-bit, but I don't know much about the layout?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How many speakers do you have?
Standard 2 with a power connection?
3 with a sub
5 2 front, 2 back and a sub

It will make a difference which card you purchase.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Just a standard setup with 2 speakers... I do use some headphones every now and then.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How about something like this HERE

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Little more and a Sound Blaster HERE

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I was starting to think it wouldn't be necessary with another card since it had been working for days with no problems, then suddently it's that shrilling sound again. Even at times when the computer have been started a couple of times with no problems it is suddently acting up again.

Thanks for your suggestions for cards, I will try and look for something like that. I've heard many good things about SoundBlaster, but maybe I'll rather go with a less expensive brand since it's an old system.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) :) :)

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Is Linux really this fast? Or is it because I'm using the Live-CD's?

It's been quite interesting trying out some of the many Linux flavours out there - Great with all the alternatives, but it makes deciding which one to install that much harder... :)