Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error Loading Operating System

• Please log in to reply

adenify

adenify

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Dell computer with Windows Vista 32 bit. The computer is only about a year and half old, and works great, that is until now.

The tower sits on the floor under the desk, and one day my dog went under the desk and knocked it too its side. I stood it back up, and suddenly the computer screen froze with a beep. I restarted the computer, since I couldn't do anything, and the first restart was successful. It went to the login screen, but it was kind of messing up so I decided to restart again but when I did, instead of it loading all the way like before, the screen went black and it said "Error Loading Operating System" after the Dell logo came up. I don't know a lot about computers so I asked a friend, and they told me maybe something disconnected from the motherboard when my dog knocked it over.

I opened up the computer and everything was connected, but a little dusty, so I cleaned it out, connected the computer again, and same Error comes up. So I was hoping if you guys could help me out. Since I'm 'dumb' with computers, could you guys give me step to step things so I can fix this problem. Thanks for the help! I hope I gave enough information to get this whole thing sorted out.t.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Was the computer knocked down while being on?

adenify

adenify

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes it was.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Very possible hard drive damage.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

adenify

adenify

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
How do I find the brand of my hard drive?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Since the computer is not bootable, you'll need to open the case and take a look.