Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My window size has issues & more

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have a XP cd for your system?
I think a Repair Installation is in order now.

Advertisements

Death by Blue Screen

Death by Blue Screen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have the Application and Driver Recovery DVD and the Operating System CD.

I'm a bit worried about doing a system restore because my computer was a bit messed up when it had vista on it originally and I don't want to unfix anything fixed (even though the computer is new). The problems were with network settings. Also I use AVG anti-virus and I don't want it to get wiped. I'm also unsure of how to do the windows firewall thing (I know how to do my avg one).

Mainly I'm really worried I'll mess something up in the restore process by accident and if I do that and can't fix it I'll be dead meat (for multiple reasons).

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It's up to you how we proceed. The safest way is the System Restore because it will not remove or delete any data. It just takes the system back to a date where the OS was working correctly. You only have to go back a day or two before the issue started.
With any steps like a repair installation there is always a possibility of data loss and we try not to let that happen by having you backup your data first just in case.
My suggestion is to go with the system restore. When did this all start?

Death by Blue Screen

Death by Blue Screen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
This previous Wednesday, it was either after I uploaded Inspiration 8 from a CD that made a noise which the tech people said was fine or after I logged onto my college's network(internet).

I tried the system restore before and it didn't work but I can try it again at a later date (I tried it for the day before the problem) and see what happens.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If a Restore doesn't work then the next option is a Repair Installation and if still no joy then we look at a parallel installation.
If that doesn't work then a infection possibility and if still no joy then we have no choice but to format and reinstall fresh.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

This previous Wednesday, it was either after I uploaded Inspiration 8 from a CD that made a noise which the tech people said was fine or after I logged onto my college's network(internet).

I tried the system restore before and it didn't work but I can try it again at a later date (I tried it for the day before the problem) and see what happens.

What kind of noise?

Death by Blue Screen

Death by Blue Screen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
A durrrrr kinda noise like low tone buzzing/humming.

Speaking of infections maybe its a virus I got from school. My settings let firewall go down for two seconds for some reason so maybe something slipped past (if I'm lucky its a virus that's easy to get rid of but my luck has been rotten) I'm scanning now. Finished scan and no such luck with an easily ridden problem I'm all clean no virus's

I'll have to wait till Monday since I'm working out in the boonies this weekend to do system restore or repair. Maybe it'll disappear while I'm away this weekend (wishful thinking).

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just because there is a possibility of a infection and i really don't want to have to do anything unless we know for sure....
I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here