Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't boot and don't have Windows key

• Please log in to reply

jencwu

jencwu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Ok, I think I'm about to throw this dang computer out! After it installed 78 out of 84 updates, it said 6 had failed. I figured those 6 would install after rebooting. When the computer rebooted, AVG was not in the system tray, even though it showed it was running in the task manager. Now when I try to open anything (AVG, windows update, most things) I get an error message that has the file name at the top and says "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." I am logged in as admin though, and I was able to access these things before installing the updates. The computer is slower than ever now too, I'm guessing because of AVG. I've rebooted several times and still it's happening. HELP!

EDIT: I thought I'd try a chkdsk/ r again, but it won't even let me access that.

Edited by jencwu, 18 January 2010 - 07:12 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is AVG still installed?

jencwu

jencwu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Yes, I can't access the uninstall feature of the control panel, same error message

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this AVG Uninstaller from AVG themselves.
If that doesn't get rid of it then try the following:

Download and install Revo Uninstaller
  • Double click the Revo Uninstaller icon on your desktop to start the program
  • Scroll through the listed programs and Right Click on the program you wish to uninstall
  • From the pop out menu choose Uninstall
  • Click Yes to the confirmation dialogue
  • In the next window select the Advanced mode
  • Click Next to start uninstalling the program
  • Answer Yes to confirm the uninstall
  • When the program has completed the four steps, click Next to allow the program to search for leftovers
  • Once complete, click Next, then Finish
  • Repeat the above steps for any other programs you wish to remove.

jencwu

jencwu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I downloaded the installation file to my flash drive from my laptop and when I tried to open it (installation file, not flash drive--it will let me access flash drive), it gave me the same error message. This happened with both of the uninstallers.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The system won't log on the internet?
When you copy the files to flash drive then just copy them to the other system and run them from there.

jencwu

jencwu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

The system won't log on the internet?

Well it probably would, it has internet access right now, but it's running so slow I haven't attempted to use Internet Explorer (I know, IE is not good but it's the only one on there right now) or download any files over the internet, other than via Windows Update. So I've just been using my laptop to download files to my flash drive, then transfer them to the desktop. It won't open most programs right now though, including the uninstallers, even if I copy them to the desktop rather than opening directly from the flash drive. It just keeps giving me that message about not having permission.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well lets try something a little different. On the problem system try this:

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Revised and Simplified:

Do you have a valid XP CD?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below:
  • Click on Start and select Run... type sfc /scannow (note the space) (Let this run undisturbed until the window with the blue progress bar goes away)

SFC
- Which stands for System File Checker,
retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.
If you want to see what was replaced, right-click My Computer and click on Manage. In the new window that appears, expand the Event Viewer (by clicking on the + symbol next to it) and then click on System.

jencwu

jencwu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Ok, 2 questions--first, I just came back to the desktop and noticed it is running updates again. Should I stop the updates? (EDIT: See below)

Second, I can't find the Windows XP Home disk that came with this computer, but I have a Windows XP Pro CD. Will that suffice?

*EDIT* I just let the updates run and this time it tried installing 19, but only 3 actually installed. Most of the ones that failed were security updates for Windows XP. I rebooted and it attempted to install the remaining 16 updates, all failing again. I was going to reboot and noticed the shutdown icon said it would install updates upon shutdown, so I clicked that. When it rebooted, that message was still on the shutdown icon. Tried this several times and I continue to get the same results, it is no longer there. I thought I'd try the AVG uninstaller tool again and it worked this time. So I no longer have AVG, and the computer is running faster now, though still seems to lag slightly. I installed Avast and it rebooted the computer and did a full scan. It only came up with 1 adware file, which it was unable to move or repair so I said to ignore.

I came across another couple of issues while uninstalling AVG and trying to install updates, however. I'm not able to view hidden folders on the problem system. When I go into folder options and check "show hidden folders..." and click apply, then ok, the hidden folders do not show up and when I go back into folder options, the setting is back to not show hidden folders.

Additionally, since the automatic updates were not working, I thought I'd try using it from the Microsoft website. When IE8 starts up, I get a message saying "A program on your computer has corrupted your default search provider setting for IE..." Also, there's a message on the IE information bar saying "Your current security settings put your computer at risk. Click here to change your security settings..." When I tell it to fix it, the problem is not solved. The IE security settings are set at default levels, and when I try to manually change them, it's the same as with hidden folders--the setting is not saved. I'm unable to install the Windows Update ActiveX control as well, I'm not sure if it's because of this or not. It seems as if overall, the computer is not saving any settings I try to change. Also, Like AVG, Avast shows up in the task manager but not in the system tray.

Anyway, I'm waiting to proceed until I hear back about the Windows cd. Thanks.

Edited by jencwu, 19 January 2010 - 02:58 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Before trying to run the below program reboot into Safe Mode and then run the program from there. Once it has finished then reboot back to normal mode and let us know if it worked.

Download and install Revo Uninstaller
  • Double click the Revo Uninstaller icon on your desktop to start the program
  • Scroll through the listed programs and Right Click on the program you wish to uninstall
  • From the pop out menu choose Uninstall
  • Click Yes to the confirmation dialogue
  • In the next window select the Advanced mode
  • Click Next to start uninstalling the program
  • Answer Yes to confirm the uninstall
  • When the program has completed the four steps, click Next to allow the program to search for leftovers
  • Once complete, click Next, then Finish
  • Repeat the above steps for any other programs you wish to remove.

Advertisements

jencwu

jencwu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
There are no programs that I want to uninstall that I'm aware of? As I said in my previous post, I was able to uninstall AVG completely. I was waiting to hear back from you about your previous directions, when you said to use the Windows CD. As I said, I can't find the XP Home edition disk that came with the computer, I can only find a XP Pro CD. Will this work with this directions you previously posted or not?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you get AVG uninstalled then?
If not then that is why I am suggesting Revo to help you.
Windows XP Pro probably will not work for my instructions as it will have different versions of the programs SFC may be trying to fix or replace.

jencwu

jencwu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Yes, please see my last reply from this past Monday, explaining that I did in fact get AVG to uninstall successfully.

As for the SFC directions, shall I then follow these directions below?

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep try the no cd instructions and see if that will work.

jencwu

jencwu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Sorry it's taken me awhile to get back to working on this computer. I ran sfc and must not have found any errors, because the window just closed when it was finished. After this the computer wanted me to restart to finish installing some updates. After rebooting it attempted to install 4 more updates, 3 of which failed. Then it attempted to install the XP Service Pack 3, but that had an error as well. It says, "Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is running on this computer." It seems very iffy about when it will install updates and which ones it will install. Again, still running very slow and the antivirus icon is still not showing up in the systray though task manager shows it is running.