Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Introduction and Windows 7 sleep problem Aero related

• Please log in to reply

Chargerswin

Chargerswin

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone thanks for being here.

Now on to my problem :)

I have upgraded my system to a clean install of windows 7 x64. When I did that I was able to shutdown my computer and put it to sleep momentarily and then it would reboot on both sleep and shutdown. Sleep would bring up the windows wasn't shutdown properly options. I lost several nights of sleep determining the culprit, when I had removed my ATI card everything worked with my onboard ATI 3200. So I returned my newly purchased ASUS 4670 and ordered a gigabyte 4670 to see if the hardware was bad. New card behaved the same. Tried rolling back drivers et. al. then installed a 32 bit Windows 7 RTM and problems were exactly same. This setup was working flawlessly under windows Vista 32 bit. I have since reinstalled a clean copy of Windows 7 x64 and upon reading that some people have disabled their Aero and it resolved sleep issues, I thought I would give it a try. low and Behold if I switch to Windows Basic theme everything works beautifully, if I enable Aero back to reboot only on sleep now. I disabled awaymode on my BIOS and that seemed to have solved my reboot on shutdown issue. Any advise on how I can get Aero and Sleep working harmoniously would be great. When it fails it logs a Kernel power 41 (63) which I here is pretty common.

Thanks,

Joe

Advertisements

captaincalvert

captaincalvert

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I think I have this problem as well. There has been a few reboots in basic mode, but only on very rare occasions. When I turn on aero however, I get them all the time. The system just shuts down in the blink of an eye, and then reboots. I did a memory check. No errors were reported. I checked the temp on the CPU. Every core is in the low 40s. Maybe I need to flash my BIOS. I really don't want to do it though. Even though the problem seems to be mostly aero related, I'm afraid the system will shut down when I do it. Also I'll need to buy a USB-stick, and the shops are all closed until tuesday because of a national holiday.

Any news on this issue?

captaincalvert

captaincalvert

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Sorry. I should have posted my specs. I did when I registered, so I figured they would be posted automatically.

ASUS P7P55D EVO (no updates of BIOS)
Intel i7 2.8 Ghz
Sapphire ATI Radeon 5870 1 GB
Chieftek 750 W PSU
Realtek on board HD audio
Coolermaster Centurion 430 cabinet
Samsung P2370 monitor
Samsung 6 series LED TV as secondary display

Edited by captaincalvert, 15 May 2010 - 10:49 AM.

captaincalvert

captaincalvert

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have now updated my realtek LAN driver to the latest version. I'm not sure if it was the culprit, but I have had no reboots for a couple of hours. I'll get back to you on this. It seems strange that the network connection could cause this, but who knows?

captaincalvert

captaincalvert

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Nope. That wasn't it. It happened again.

captaincalvert

captaincalvert

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I think I finally figured it out. There have been no incidents for about six hours now. I think it was Advanced System Care Pro. It never gave me any problems before, but maybe something crucial was changed in the last update. I've reported the possible bug to their support.

Do any of you guys know of a good reg cleaner? There are so many out there, and I bet half of them are crap. If I don't use anything it's just a matter of time before the system starts to clog and run slow, so that is not an option.

Edited by captaincalvert, 16 May 2010 - 06:23 AM.

captaincalvert

captaincalvert

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay. I'm back again. Everything was fine for days, and then it happened again two times. This time i reinstalled windows. It didn't help. Obviously ASC was innocent after all. The prime suspect is again aero. As soon as I turned aero off the reboots stopped. It's really weird. it can't possibly be a performance issue. I have 8 gigs of ram and a quad core processor.
This is driving me crazy, but I suppose I just have to run windows basic.