Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help restoring windows XP

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let's try downloading the driver straight from Trigem and seeing if that will work. Please go HERE and get the Lan driver dated 10/10/2008). Let me know if this helps.
You will have to use the drop down menus and put in Laptop and then scroll through the bottom drop down almost to the end where you will find you model number. Then click the Search button and then scroll down the page to find the driver above.

Edited by rshaffer61, 27 January 2010 - 04:33 PM.

Advertisements

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
No luck. I downloaded the driver to a disk and loaded to my laptop but still no access. I keep getting notified to download SP3 should I just ignore this?

I found a site where I can download an Averatec 5100 Data Recovery Disc for a small $$ what do you think?

Here is the link
Averatec Recovery CD

Edited by Jeffrey_RedSox2007, 27 January 2010 - 04:37 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you already have it then ignore it.
Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried unplugging the wireless router for a few minutes and see if it resets itself?

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Yes more times than I care to count.

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Okay chkdsk /r is running. I will get back to you when it completes.

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
chkdsk /r complete button still not working.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK go to Start then to Run
Type in cmd and click Enter
In new window type the following commands and make sure to click Enter after each one.
ipconfig
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
exit

Let me know after this if internet now starts. You may want to restart the system before and then try internet.

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Message: No operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection while it has its media disconnected.
No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected.

Still no internet. Still no light on wireless button.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like a failed wireless adapter then. May not be related to the malware removal but just happened at the same time.

Advertisements

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Okay what does that mean? Is this something that can be fixed?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well it depends because most wireless adapters I know of are just plugged into the lan connector on the back of the system. The only exception is if it is a add on card with wireless capability and then you would have to replace the whole card.
Being you have a laptop then is there something that looks like a antenna sticking out of your system somewhere? If so that is the wireless adapter. Does it plug into a connection like a large phone line? If so unplug it from the system and then wait 5 minutes. plug it back in and see if it will work then.

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
No there is no antenna on the back. Would it be worth my while to take it to someplace like MicroCenter to have them check it to see if it really is gone?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep because if it is built in then we may have to look at some other way like a USB wireless connector if even possible to do.
Let me ask somewhere on the laptop is there a connection that looks like a large phone jack?

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Yes there is. Plus I opened one of the covers on the back and I have an Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 LAN 3B MiniPCI adapter.