Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot connect to major file servers

• Please log in to reply

eradic8

eradic8

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Sorry in advance, if this is the wrong place to post. I did not know where to post for this subject. The last few days I have had problems connecting to megaupload.com. I am unable to access my megaupload account which is very annoying. Today I find out I cannot connect to rapidshare.com or hotfile also, and so I went to my ISP (talktalk) members forums, and find out some members are having the same problems, and many believe it is the ISP that is blocking them. It appears that some of them have had these problems since late December and others are just experiencing the problems. I'm not sure how it is legal for an ISP to block access to major file sharing sites, but I would like to know if anyone on this website is experiencing this problem, and if anyone could throw any light on what is happening. I believe something odd is going on, and I am determined to get to the bottom of it. If I find out my ISP is blocking access to certain sites, I will be taking legal action against them, as I believe this is a breach of contract.

This is one of the active threads over at talktalk members forum:
http://www.talktalkm...w...4873&page=1 If anyone with knowledge of these kind of issues could take a look over there I would be grateful. We dont seem to be getting any clear answer yet.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as long as the ISP makes it clear in their EULA that they reserve the right to block or close down ports for any and all services that they choose, then you've got no direct legal recourse. Many ISPs block SMTP traffic to stop people from hosting spam servers on their networks. a lot of ISPs are moving towards blocking P2P file sharing services as well.