Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very slow download speed using Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

londonbeans

londonbeans

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi

I wonder if anyone can help, I have just purchased a new pc with windows 7.
I use Big fish game site alot and am trying to download one of their new games which is a very big file.
On downloading the file is taking hours, where as the same file took only 45 mins to download on my vista laptop.

is there something I can check to see if the the setting are correct on the pc? I am no geek but know a bit and can follow instructions easily.

I am using a netgear toggle to access my wifi sky broadband connection which seems to be working fine.

I just did a broadband speed checker and it shows 512 Kbps.

I have checked Big Fish forums and people don't seem to be having the same problem as me??

Let me know what other information you may need to know from me.

Thank you in advance

Londonbeans :)

Edited by londonbeans, 16 February 2010 - 01:30 PM.

Advertisements

BetterLuck

BetterLuck

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm sorry I can't help you but I'd like to have the answer for myself.

I have gotten timed out of everything I tried to download, almost--TurboTax, updated drivers via Pareto Logic, Rhasody software and my music library---whatever.

I is much slower than my Y2k Gateway dinosaur which had a tiny fraction of processor speed and working memory and and 20G HD!

It takes HOURS

Speednet says I should be getting 1.46Mb downloads--I'm getting 0-12 Kbps (not sure if the abbreviation is correct)

I have done all the stuff they tell you to do to verify the ".NET" whatever, made sure sites were on my trusted list or allowed to go through the firewall, verified program compatibility or ran in compatibility, went to alternate sites thru TurboTax for manual downloads...all useless.

I've been unable to file taxes, hear music, or do more than incredibly slow surfing.

I do have both Spyware Detector AND Stopzilla, but have tried disabling them both, even deleted my trial McAffee and turning off the factory-installed Norton Firewall.

This PC is all but useless and I bought it because I couldn't stand the slowness of my ancient PC, which makes this look slow in comparison to it! It's taken all I have not to smash it to the floor, and I paid quite a few hundred dollars for it.