Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error 0x80070571: The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable

• Please log in to reply

harriss

harriss

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hi i have windows 7 Home Premium. i have 750gb Maxtor external drive.

i cannot move files to it or create folders.

Well i say i cant, if i goto the cmd window and do a chkdsk /r on the J drive, and wait about 2 hours for that to complete i can then do the copying and creating i need too.

i then reboot the following day and im back to sqaure 1.
it wont let me create anything on the drive.

when i try to create a folder on the drive i get the following error.

"an unexpected error is keeping you from creating the folder. If you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem.

Error 0x80070571: The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable."

has anyone any ideas as to what is the problem, and more so why i keep getting it. i wouldnt mind if it was a one-off, but this is after every re-boot.

many thanks in advance

Edited by harriss, 19 February 2010 - 09:34 AM.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Have you tried running Maxtor's diagnostics? Tried using it on a different machine?

harriss

harriss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
hi diabillic, yes downloaded the diagnostics tool and all ok?

I have since however, discovered a quicker workaround, if i unplug the usb device aqnd plug it back in all is fine?

so its an initialisation on boot issue really? i can keep unplugging the device before i use it afetr a reboot, but still a pain.

so im thinking that when the device is discovered after boot up, something is going awry?

regards

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Sometimes that error is caused by a bad enclosure, but the drive is fine. If you still have a warranty on it, replace it. If not, pull the drive out of the enclosure.

harriss

harriss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi this maxtor onetouch is a sealed unit, the drive isnt extractable i dont believe very easily. i could try to open it up, but unsure if thats possible at all.

Big H66

Big H66

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I got this error using a Maxtor One Touch - I just unplugged the power cord in the rear of the unit, waited about 10 seconds and plugged the cord back in. On the screen popped up a window asking me if I wanted to scan the drive, my answer was yes, it took a couple of minutes and the scanning was over and I was informed that there were some ccorrupt file on the dirve which it got rid of and placed in a folder marked "Found" and that the drive was operating normal. I tried to download some files and it worked like it should. I hope this will help anyone who is having the same problem.