Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with TrayApp

• Please log in to reply

purple21

purple21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
GREAT NEWS!!! :)
I uninstalled all things HP (except for the LT Scanner software. I was very nervous about getting rid of that since I could find no replacement. But I after I had uninstalled everything else and restarted my computer, TrayApp wasn't showing up anymore, so I thought it would be ok to leave it.)
Then I reinstalled the printer driver and the other HP program I had to uninstall, restarted my computer, and...viola! No more TrayApp.
Thanks so, soooo much!! I am soooo relieved to be rid of it!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!! :) :) :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome and I am so glad everything worked out for you. Thank you for letting us know how you resolved the issue. I'm sure it will help someone else in the future with the same problem.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you with your issue and for your patience through all the steps. :) :) :) :)

maryisme

maryisme

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi there, I have read through this entire thread, this is my exact problem and I believe I may be able to fix this most annoying problem. My only concern is the age of this thread, I currently am running windows 7 and I have an HP photosmart all in one 6380. I have uninstalled and attempted to reinstall more times than I can count and the installation stops short of completing and freezes, with the "this program has unexpectedly stopped working do you want Microsoft to find a fix", I say yes and it shuts down. My first question is have you heard of anything about this recently? I may have more questions, but for now, I just want to make sure that the advise is current. As of now, I can still print but am no longer able to scan or open the "solution center" due to missing drivers etc...Also, for the life of me I cannot find the original install CD, I've turned this place upside down.

Thank you very much for your time on this.
Mary :confused:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Drivers for Win7 located HERE.
I have already chosen the Win7 driver so you just need to download it and install. Please let us know if it corrects the issue now. :thumbsup:

maryisme

maryisme

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
No luck, at this point I can't even completely uninstall the old leftover stuff, I get the same "this program has stopped working and will close" message. and then, of course, it closes. the whole thing seems very weird. something is locking it up and I can't identify what the heck it is. the rest of my machine works fine, and virus scans, security essentials and malwarebytes have come up clean. (full scans). there was one possible solution on this thread that I haven't tried yet, it is a couple of years old and I just wanted to know if that solution was still pertinent before I tried it. I have also started my computer at a prior date through the recovery manager. It's a bit maddening at this point. :surrender:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Which solution are you referring to as there are several that have been added over the years.

maryisme

maryisme

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Below is the particular possible solution I was looking at (it was on page one of this thread), the one without the install CD. I was wondering if this is still an option with windows 7. This solution is 2 years old. I can't find any recent solutions anywhere.

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:57 PM
To Remove TrayApp HP Photosmart Digital Imaging software

Further option(1) using your Printer CD
Place your HP Printer Setup CD in your CD Drive
Close any Autorun that may popup
Open My Computer
Right Click on your CD Drive and select Search
Type in trayapp.msi and hit OK (Note: it is likely in: \Setup\trayapp\trayapp.msi)
Double click to run/install trayapp.msi
Restart

Further option(2) using your Printer CD
Place your HP Printer Setup CD in your CD Drive
Choose to Repair (not Uninstall or Install) your Printer software
Restart

If You Don't Have The Printer Setup CD
Uninstall all HP Printer Software as shown in Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel
Download and run the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
Remove any entries to HP Printer software
>> A further step if you want to try as well > Printer Driver Deleter
Go to HP and re-download your printer software HERE (printer must be on and plugged in)
Install, and Restart

If TrayApp is still there on startup! (although impossible)
Download Startup Control Panel (as I don't like MSConfig left in Diagnostic Mode)
Run it, and check all tabs (there are 6 tabs, not including "About")
Look for anything that starts up TrayApp and remove the tick (this may be all HP entries)
Close Startup Control Panel
Restart

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep you can try that. It should not cause any problems with your system.

maryisme

maryisme

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
No luck, OK, here is what I've done so far today. I tried to un install the printer, through the instal/uninstall program via the control panel. nothing happens when I click on the priter I want to un install. then I restarted my machine, and I get these two error messages right away, it says these are missing

C:\Program file (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\Bin\HPQRSMON.EXE
C:\Program file (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\Bin\HPQTRA08.EXE

After I click Ok or cancel several times the trayapp appears over and over again, then I can resume my business without a working printer. I have no idea what to do at this point. I've been yanking my hair out on this for a while now. I put it aside for a while because I get so frustrated, but now I have an occasion where I need to scan something and email it and I can't. arrrrrgggg!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is there anything still in the msconfig startup that has to do with the HP software?

Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

Advertisements

maryisme

maryisme

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
No HP items at start up.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK let me take a look at things another way.

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

maryisme

maryisme

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Sorry I took so long, here it is. I can't tell you how grateful I am to have somebody trying to figure this out with me. I am this close to hitting the dreaded "F11" key, but I really don't want to do that....

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I still see lots of HP entries listed but this is going to be a little tricky so I want to try Revo Uninstaller to see if it can help us out.

Download and install Revo Uninstaller
  • Double click the Revo Uninstaller icon on your desktop to start the program
  • Scroll through the listed programs and Right Click on the program you wish to uninstall (Anything that says HP)
  • From the pop out menu choose Uninstall
  • Click Yes to the confirmation dialogue
  • In the next window select the Advanced mode
  • Click Next to start uninstalling the program
  • Answer Yes to confirm the uninstall
  • When the program has completed the four steps, click Next to allow the program to search for leftovers
  • Once complete, click Next, then Finish
  • Repeat the above steps for any other programs you wish to remove.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

maryisme

maryisme

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Including the HP Advisor? The reason I question this is because this is a Compaq that was apparently bought out by HP, and I think the HP advisor is connected to the pc part and not the printer. I could care less, I'm starting to not like HP very much.