Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems after upgrade from Vista To 7

• Please log in to reply

Justinn123

Justinn123

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi, I'm really desperate for some help right now. I installed Windows 7, using the Hp Upgrade Option, a few days ago with the update option. I installed some updates from Windows Update and now, every time i turn the computer on, it lags on the 'Please wait' screen for a minute, then the 'Welcome' screen for a minute or so, and after wards, a blank screen with nothing but a pointer in the centre. After a few minutes, the desktop would finally appear. So basically, my computer takes over 5 minutes for it to boot, whereas before I installed 7 and was using Vista, it took under a minute. Oh yeah, one more detail, after I install an update in Windows Update, it still lags on the Welcome screen but the desktop appears straight after wards. I'm really puzzled on this issue and would seriously appreciate some help. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Justinn123, 23 February 2010 - 02:30 AM.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
This often happens with upgrading (as opposed to doing a 'clean install'). There may be some items starting with Windows that are no longer fully compatible since you upgraded, so they need to be disabled as Windows 7 does not do that automatically.

If Windows 7 includes 'Microsoft Windows Defender' (don't know 'cos I don't have Win 7 yet) you can view and disable startup items with that (it's in the 'Options' panel of Defender).

Or you can use 'Ccleaner' to view and disable them:
http://www.ccleaner.com/

The best way to approach this is to start by only disabling the items you recognise or remember from your Vista installation related to third-party programs (ie not Microsoft).

Hopefully you will notice an improvement, but don't forget also that Windows 7 itself may have added some of it's own to the list which you don't really need to be enabled. Any items you're unsure of you can type into your favourite search-engine, the first half-dozen hits nearly always provide the info you need on which to make a decision.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 23 February 2010 - 05:12 AM.

Justinn123

Justinn123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Well... thanks, but that didn't really work. Sorry if I sound ungrateful, but I'm just annoyed at my computer, when Windows 7 was advertised to be 'fast'. Well, if there are any other suggestions, I would be grateful. The fact that it started after an update is suspicious though. Are there any other people who have the same problem as me and solved it?

Edited by Justinn123, 26 February 2010 - 09:35 PM.