Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading my current PC (please help)

• Please log in to reply

dzacbbb

dzacbbb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Good morning,

When I put the old processor in my system boots up and once I enter the current time and reboot it. I gets to where windows would be loading and gives me an error(the error is different almost everytime.)

This thing is making my head hurt...lol

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

This thing is making my head hurt...lol

Mine too.

That almost sounds like a hard drive problem. Do you have a SATA Hard Drive? If so, this could make some sense in that by clearing the CMOS the AHCI mode by default was set back to IDE mode when Windows 7 may have been installed with it set to SATA mode. This would cause the problems you are having. Look for AHCI Mode and set it to SATA or the opposite of what it is set to be default when you clear the CMOS.

Do all of this with your old processor. If it works, then do it again with the new processor, clearing the CMOS and setting the AHCI Mode again. Here is an image for you...

Posted Image

dzacbbb

dzacbbb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
soon as I get home I will try this...*crossing fingers*

dzacbbb

dzacbbb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Any suggestions to a different CPU? around the same price :)

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115131

Will this work?

On the Universal Abit support list it says...

Core 2 Quad Q9400 1333 All 一 Test
It says Test? Most say OK...

Edited by dzacbbb, 08 March 2010 - 02:23 PM.

dzacbbb

dzacbbb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Edited by dzacbbb, 08 March 2010 - 02:21 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Go for the Q9300 as it definitely is listed as "OK" on the cpu support list. It's pricier, but it is a step up even from the one you originally bought. You'll be happy with it I'm sure.

dzacbbb

dzacbbb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
This is what I see in the Integrated Peripherals screen...

Posted Image

Now what? :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
All BIOS' are different. Try clicking Enter on Onchip Sata Device. You are looking for anything that says AHCI mode and you can change between SATA and IDE. You just have to hunt around in there.

dzacbbb

dzacbbb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Ok and I checked I do have a SATA hard drive

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Just to be clear, with a SATA hard drive you can install windows on either SATA mode or IDE mode, but if you switch afterwards the system won't boot. So that's why I'm saying switch it to whatever mode is NOT the default as that is my guess at which one Windows was installed as. See? Because when you cleared the CMOS, it switched the AHCI mode back to default.

If by default it is IDE, then switch it to SATA.
If by default it is SATA, switch it to IDE.

I think this may be why the system isn't booting. It seems the computer is staying on with no problems in the BIOS, just when it goes to read the hard drive.

Edited by Ferrari, 08 March 2010 - 09:20 PM.

Advertisements

dzacbbb

dzacbbb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I dont see anywhere to change it from SATA to IDE...
here is what I see...( i tried disabling these and enabling still wont load windows...
Posted Image

Main screen...
Posted Image

Edited by dzacbbb, 08 March 2010 - 09:57 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Then that's the wrong area. I'm going to reboot, your BIOS looks similar to mine and see if I can point you in the right direction. Be right back... :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Back, mine is under integrated peripherals but I guess yours isn't, or maybe you don't have it. Try looking under advanced chipset features or any of them really. :)

dzacbbb

dzacbbb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I looked under all of them...most of the things I can change are enable or disable.

Is there anyway to check the version of BIOS I have? Maybe I can find a manual or emulator so you can see what I can?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I believe you... I wonder if they don't abbreviate it. It stands for Advanced Host Controller Interface... see that anywhere?

If not, a repair of your OS may work. For some reason your hard drive won't boot your OS. A repair keeps all your Data and programs in tact. Look here... http://howtocleanins.....ll/#Windows 7 You should try the "startup" repair first.