Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

It's Dark In Here

• Please log in to reply

Laughter

Laughter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello Everyone! ;)

Well, I went and bought a power supply (that was identical to the one in the system) in order to rule out that as an issue......

I connected the sucker up and no changes whatsoever. I then called the store manager where I bought the power supply and he asked me to bring the unit in and that he'd take a look at it......

Well, I got to watch him trouble-shoot the memory, the video card, etc...and he narrowed it down to either the processor or the motherboard. However, he felt for sure that it was the motherboard, since he said that they tend to "die" a lot more often compared to processors.

THEN I took the system over to the technician on-site and he was really helpful. He took the processor off of the existing mother board and showed me where it looked as if the processor had overheated. The gel (between the fan part and the pin part lol---you know what I mean) had melted and hardened....he scraped that off, reapplied new gel and attached the processor to a new motherboard, and BAM!!!!!! :)

So, the motherboard is getting replaced and life should be good (well, now that I've typed this, something else will start to kick!). ;)

Anyhow, I am a happy camper. I will (attempt) to reinstall WIN2000 over the existing information on the hard drive, sometime today. My only concern is that I need to get my system to recognize that the harddrive is 250MB (I wasn't successful the first time around before it died). ......one bridge at a time!!!

Please know that all of your pointers, advice and postings are SO APPRECIATED!!!!!!!! I would be GLAD to post the specs, temps and everything else once I get the puppy up and running! :tazz:

Thanks again to EVERYONE HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ~A Relieved Laughter

P.S. I feel really fortunate to have found a reliable, local computer place to do business with, not to mention to have found people who are willing to SHOW me what they're doing and why. WOW!

Advertisements

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Good for you. Stick with them if they treat you fairly and you are pleased with what they do. Kudo's to the manager who took the time to listen to you and took that extra step trying to help you isolate this problem.

:tazz: