Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Where Did It Go?

• Please log in to reply

jek1862

jek1862

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
I recently switched from XP to Vista Ultimate. In the process, I lost something. You are familiar with the Sound Effects Manager in the Control Panel. Well, I am something of an audiophile, and there is an option that was in this when I had XP, but for some reason, they dropped it out of Vista.
It's the Realtek AC97 Audio Configuration Sound Effects Manager. In XP, in this thing there was an option called "custom' or "customized" I can't remember for sure. It is in the Environment Section, where you can choose all sorts of different listening environments for different music effects. Or you can select 'generic', or 'none'. But before when I had this there was also an option as I said 'custom'. It would allow you to do many things to your audio. When you clicked on 'custom' up would pop up a box with various settings for things like 'room', 'HF', 'Roll Off', "Decay', "Decay HF', 'Reverb'. "Reverb Delay', 'Diffusion' 'Density', among other things. I used to like to monkey with these settings to experiment with my music. Now I don't have any of this in the Vista version. Everything else is exactly the same, except for the omission of this 'custom' option, which I VERY MUCH would like to get back. So I guess my question is, knowing what I am talking about, can I download this particular Sound Effects Manager, that has the 'custom' setting with all the things I mentioned, and replace it with the one I have now, that doesn't have the setting. I don't think it was particular to XP, but am not sure. Why would this particular component change with Vista?
So if I haven't confused you, and you know what I am talking about and what I need, I would appreciate your help in finding what I used to have, if it is possible. I really miss it, and want it back. If you have a download link, that would be greatly appreciated. I hope I have been clear...I did the best I could. Thank you.
PS If there is a similar product available, I would be open to that, as well, although I prefer the Realtek AC97 Audio Configuration Sound Effects Manager.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello jek1862...

Have you tried installing the 3D Soundback Beta from the RealTek site? This has been a fairly common problem with the RealTek AC97 sound cards. It appears to remedy many users' complaints.

Use the link I provided and agree to the license agreement...click "Next" (probably twice...there seems to be some problems with that page). The beta driver is at the bottom of the Windows Drivers section on the resulting page.

jek1862

jek1862

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Yes this is 'sort of' what I want. The description for the Realtek 3D Soundback, as you may know, says it will 'restore audio effects, including surround sound, reverberation, and spatial effects...'
So I went to the page and downloaded it. It's a zip file, and I don't particularly like those, as sometimes I have trouble installing them. Well, that seemed to be the case here. I unzipped it, and then clicked on 'setup' and it 'seemed' to take but I'm not positive. Did I install it correctly, do you think?
I looked at my Sound Effects Manager and it didn't change...meaning there was no addition of the 'custom' option I spoke of in my initial post, after I installed this software. Maybe it wasn't supposed to change, I don't know. Ideally, I still want what I stated in my initial post...the Sound Effects Manager with the 'custom' option that I had with XP. In other words, get rid of the Sound Effects Manager I have now (if possible) and replace it with the version I am speaking of. I even tried rolling back the driver on it, but still stays the same. Can you help me find the version of the Sound Effects Manager that contains the 'custom' option for download and installation, please? It must be out there somewhere. Question is will I be able to use it on my Vista installation. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Barring that, since I am unsure if this '3D Soundback Beta' installed into my system properly, could you maybe find me the same thing but not in a zip file. I googled it, but all of them are in zip file. I just have an aversion to zip files. I know, may sound strange, but I do. And finally, is there any way I can tell FOR SURE, if the 3D thing DID install into my sound card okay. Thanks for your patience with me, on this, to me, very frustrating problem.