Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 - all .exe files open MS Word [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Soup_94

Soup_94

• Pip
  • 2 posts
All .exe files open MS Word and then a bunch of pop-ups display. CTRL-ALT-DEL and killing the MS Word does not help. I ran several SUPER virus/malware programs via the MS-DOS prompt with no success. I need something that will dis-associate whatever has hijacked my programs. I would call this a "Word" virus since that is all that opens...

Can anyone help or give advice?

Advertisements

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Hello, Soup_94! :) Welcome to GeekstoGo! I'm piano9playa5 and will be assisting you with your malware problems. If you have any questions, ask away! Just a few tips to make things go smoothly:
  • Please be patient. We are all volunteers here, with lives that can keep us busy elsewhere.
    I must check everything with a moderator before posting.
  • Don't run tools you see being used in another topic. Running tools unsupervised can be dangerous.
  • Copy\Paste logs in your replies, rather than attaching them, unless I instruct you to do otherwise.
    This makes things easier for me, and the moderator looking over this topic.
  • Ensure "WordWrap" is disabled in Notepad.
    • Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad.
    • Click Format > Word Wrap (if checked, if not, leave it)
  • To everyone except Soup_94: The instructions following were created specifically for Soup_94, please do not perform these steps unless instructed by a Trusted Helper.

Okay, so just as a quick note - this is a Command file > .COM extension > so it should run.

Download OTL to your desktop.
Firefox users - Right-click and select Save Link As...
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following:

netsvcs
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    /md5start
    eventlog.dll
    scecli.dll
    netlogon.dll
    cngaudit.dll
    sceclt.dll
    ntelogon.dll
    logevent.dll
    iaStor.sys
    nvstor.sys
    atapi.sys
    IdeChnDr.sys
    viasraid.sys
    AGP440.sys
    vaxscsi.sys
    nvatabus.sys
    viamraid.sys
    nvata.sys
    nvgts.sys
    iastorv.sys
    ViPrt.sys
    eNetHook.dll
    ahcix86.sys
    KR10N.sys
    nvstor32.sys
    ahcix86s.sys
    nvrd32.sys
    symmpi.sys
    adp3132.sys
    mv61xx.sys
    nvraid.sys
    /md5stop
    %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
    CREATERESTOREPOINT
    %systemroot%\system32\*.dll /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%\Tasks\*.job /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%\system32\drivers\*.sys /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%\System32\config\*.sav

• Then click the Quick Scan button at the top. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time, and post it with your next reply. You may need two posts to fit them all in.

Edited by piano9playa5, 29 March 2010 - 03:08 PM.

Soup_94

Soup_94

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
piano9playa5 - Thank you for the reply. I had to hand off the PC to a wiser tech friend this afternoon. I had to run out of town and he is going to give it a go. If he fixes, I will post what he did. Otherwise, I will try your recommended options.

- Soup

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
For sure :)

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.