Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update not working and Search Engine hijacked [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Any change?

Advertisements

Babine

Babine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
No ads or anything so far:)

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
A good sign. :)

Did I interrupt you posting that Extras.txt I wonder?

If you have it please post it. If not, tell me, it's not critical at this stage but if you have it we mays as well check it out.

If after say an hour or two surfing your machine is still free of the pop ups then let me know and we will go to clearing away the tools we have been using.

Babine

Babine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Umm...I don't think I ever got an Extras.txt

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Okie dokie, just tell me when you think your sure those pop ups are gone and we will go to clearing away the tools we have been using. :)

Babine

Babine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hey

So Ive been on computer for quite awhile now, and no ads!

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello again Babine,

Well done, I think your machine is clean. :)

Now

We have a couple of last steps to perform and then you're all set.Posted Image

Follow these steps to uninstall Combofix and tools used in the removal of malware. This will also clean out and reset your Restore Points.
  • Click START then RUN
  • Now type Combofix /Uninstall in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the X and the U, it needs to be there.

Posted Image
Step 2
  • Double-click OTL.exe to run it. (Vista users, please right click on OTL.exe and select "Run as an Administrator")
  • Click on the CleanUp! button
  • Click Yes to begin the Cleanup process and remove these components, including this application.
  • You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes.

MBAM can be uninstalled via control panel add/remove but it may be a useful tool to keep. Erunt can also be uninstalled via the add/remove programs utility, for some though, it may be a useful backup program to hold on to. The TDSSKiller, FileLister and FoxScan folder/files can be deleted.

Up to you whether you keep the Add-ons Adblock Plus and NoScripts, they are useful, but as I said before NoScripts is not everyones cup of tea.

Step 3

Click Start > Run and type the following bolded command, then hit Enter.

helpasst -cleanup

Make sure you leave a space between helpasst and -cleanup !

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A reminder: Remember to turn back on any anti-malware programs you may have turned off during the cleaning process.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that your machine is clean here are some things that I think are worth having a look at if you don't already know about them:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regularly check that your Java is up to date. Older versions are vunerable to malicious attack.
  • Download from here Java Runtime Environment (JDK) Update
  • Scroll to where it says "Windows XP/Vista/2000/2003/2008 online" and download and follow the instructions to install.

Reboot your computer.
    You also need to uininstall older versions of Java.

• Click Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs
  • Remove all Java updates except the latest one you have just installed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be sure and give the Temp folders a cleaning out now and then. This helps with security and your computer will run more efficiently. I clean mine once a week.

For ease of use, you might consider the following free program:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make Internet Explorer more secure
  • Click Start > Run
  • Type Inetcpl.cpl & click OK
  • Click on the Security tab
  • Click Reset all zones to default level
  • Make sure the Internet Zone is selected & Click Custom level
  • In the ActiveX section, set the first two options ("Download signed and unsigned ActiveX controls) to "Prompt", and ("Initialize and Script ActiveX controls not marked as safe") to "Disable".
  • Next Click OK, then Apply button and then OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

* Consider using an alternate browser.

Opera may be downloaded from here. It is one of the least targeted of all browers.

Avant may be downloaded from here. Another one that is less well known.

Firefox may be downloaded from Here. I use Firefox because I like it. Used to be one of the safest but now targeted probably as much as IE.

Adblock Plus is a good Add-on for Firefox that helps prevent those annoying pop ups.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Startuplite is a tool to help you stop some programs not needed when you start your computer from loading. They will begin automatically only when needed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help protect your computer in the future here are some free programs you can look at:

• It is recommended that you do set Windows to check, download and install your updates automatically.

* Click Start > Control Panel > Automatic Updates
    * Set the day and time for the update check. Set this to a time when your computer will normally be on and connected to the internet.
    * Click Apply then OK.

And to keep your system clean consider choosing from these free for home use malware scanners and updating and running weekly.
  • Malwarebytes
  • SuperAntiSpyWare
Be aware of what emails you open and websites you visit.

Go here for some good advice about how to prevent infection.

Have a safe and happy computing day!

Edited by emeraldnzl, 17 April 2010 - 08:06 PM.
typo

Babine

Babine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hi Emeraldnzl,

Thanks again so much for helping me with this problem:) ...step 3 didn't work. I got a message saying it could not be found. Is that a problem?

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

.step 3 didn't work. I got a message saying it could not be found. Is that a problem?

No, we removed it with ComboFix, just wanted to be sure. :)

Thanks again so much for helping me with this problem

On behalf of azarl and myself, you are very welcome. :)

I will leave this topic open for a day or two just in case any issues arise.

Babine

Babine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Actually, there may be a problem related or unrelated to this topic. Once I got the Windows Update, I can now no longer open up my Internet Explorer. When I try to open it, I get the message, An unhandled win32 exception occurred in IEXPLORE.EXE[xxxx]. Just-In-Time debugging this exception failed with the following error: No installed debugger has Just-In-Time debugging enabled.

This is happening while I have already deleted Visual Studio.

Edited by Babine, 17 April 2010 - 09:47 PM.

Advertisements

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Try this:
  • Click Start > Run and type sfc /scannow (note the space, it should be there), and then press ENTER.
  • Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.
  • Restart your computer when System File Checker process is complete.

Come back and tell me if there has been any change.

Babine

Babine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
It asks me to insert my Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD, but I don't think I have that CD...

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Okay then I think we are left with a re-install. See the instruction below.. ignore the sfc /scannow option further down the list (you have already tried that). The other suggestions there though should provide you with a solution.

Please go to support Microsoft for instructions on how to repair/reinstall your Internet Explorer.

Let me know how you get on. :)

Babine

Babine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Alrighty! IE works again. Thanks:)

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts