Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unknown Freeze?

• Please log in to reply

AQUA258

AQUA258

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
OK, WILL DO.

I'M ASSUMING A GOOD TIME TO DO THIS IS WHEN IVE GONE TO BED.
SO I'LL BE BACK HERE TOMORROW.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK no problem and we will await your results.

AQUA258

AQUA258

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Hi there,

OK...followed your instructions to the letter. Copied and pasted Chkdsk /r so that i make no error. A box opened, said it couldn't do stuff do i want to check the next time it boots. i typed Y and it wouldn't restart. So i restarted, when it came back on there was lots of gurgling moaning and groaning but nothing showed on the screen that anything was happening. As in, was it scanning!!. Then it went totally silent for a while, then a tad more noises.

I wasn't sure if it was doing anything. Can't tell you if it has done anything.
Just in case it was, i left it alone for several hours, cos you said to be careful.

When i rebooted it, was a box or something suppose to show it scanning?? If so, IT DIDN'T.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So you are not seeing a box that says it is doing steps that looked like this

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
File record segment 45772 is unreadable.
File record segment 45773 is unreadable.
File record segment 45774 is unreadable.
File record segment 45775 is unreadable.
File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
Deleting an index entry from index $O of file 6654.
Deleting index entry manifest.xml in index $I30 of file 25465.
Index verification completed.
CHKDSK is recovering lost files.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
Security descriptor verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
The disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters
detected in file 6898 of name \pagefile.sys.

Edited by rshaffer61, 07 April 2010 - 03:04 PM.

AQUA258

AQUA258

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
OK, not sure what happen first time but second time around the box came up. Did the scan. I waited a while before getting back to you just to see if it was all good. Sad to say the freeze is still happening.

Happened just now. Prior to it happening lots of noise from high tower, going top speed, sounded like it was loading something. I couldn't log out so i forced a shut down from tower. Ran some cleaners.

Still open for suggestions.

PS...could it be something updating itself that is interfering with any open page. Most of what i've got usually gives me warning in some way. It just so sounds like its loading something.

Phantom010

Phantom010

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Can you post a few of your latest minidump files? They are located in C:\WINDOWS\Minidump. Attach them to your next post.

Also,

Please download and run Autoruns.

Click on File.

Click on Save…

Save the new AutoRuns Data (*.arn) file to your desktop.

Close the Autoruns program.

Right-click on the new desktop AutoRuns .arn file.

Select Send To > Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Attach the compressed file to your next post.

Edited by Phantom010, 08 April 2010 - 09:11 PM.

Tpneer2

Tpneer2

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
I noticed that onthe amount of RAM the sytem has it is using 64 MB of your RAM to runthe video card, nto that this is a lot but thwn you factor inthe virus scanners and the browser then yourun into issues
the fastest way to alleviate this is to go buy some more RAM it sthe cheapest way to do an upgrade and will ge trid of this annoying issue

Phantom010

Phantom010

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
In my opinion, 512 MB of RAM is a minimum for XP but certainly not optimal. I always recommend at least 1 GB for smoother operation. In this case, lack of RAM (448 MB) is most certainly part of the problem.

I'd still like to see your Autoruns .arn file. I'm curious about your Startup load. You may have too many applications loading with Windows and too many processes running in the background. Combined with your lack of RAM, it might be a most probable explanation for your freezing issues.

Edited by Phantom010, 08 April 2010 - 09:31 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please do not compress the file. Instead follow these steps.
Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Phantom010

Phantom010

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Please do not compress the file. Instead follow these steps

Forgive me but may I ask why? :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Unless the file is to big to simply attach there is no need. If saved as a txt file it will attach with no problem.

Phantom010

Phantom010

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Unless the file is to big to simply attach there is no need. If saved as a txt file it will attach with no problem.

Actually yes, it will exceed the 500 KB limit if not compressed. I have asked for a lot of those files in the past.

The .arn file is a lot easier to interprete than a simple plain text file. All details will be clearly visible on my computer.

Edited by Phantom010, 09 April 2010 - 07:38 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
With all due respect Phantom010 we have used the instructions I gave for a long time and if the file is saved as a txt file it will attach. I understand it might make it easier for you to interpret but I need to see the file also.
Tpneer2 is correct in is suggestion on the ram memory as the so called sweet spot for XP is 1 gig of memory. The lack of memory can also be part of the cause of the freezing.

Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

Aqua258 please do the following so I can check your temps and voltages on your PSU.
Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

Edited by rshaffer61, 09 April 2010 - 08:01 AM.

Phantom010

Phantom010

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

With all due respect Phantom010 we have used the instructions I gave for a long time and if the file is saved as a txt file it will attach. I understand it might make it easier for you to interpret but I need to see the file also.

With all due respect to you too rshaffer61, why would you need to see it too? I am the one who asked for Autoruns first. I am perfectly capable of reading the file and advising the original poster accordingly, my way.

This forum obviously doesn't want outside help. Big Brother is always breathing down our necks here... I thought being a member here gave us the right to help too.

I'll have to respectfully ask you to disable my account. I will take my business elsewhere. Actually, I'll stick to my usual forum. I won't be coming back.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK it's yours I will step back.