Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Defragmenting Problems

• Please log in to reply

purple21

purple21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Yes. Either that or I'm downloading them from the Internet.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Downloading what type of programs?
There is also some great alternatives to the name brand programs that I might be able to suggest that would be less stressful on your system resources.

purple21

purple21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I'm talking about programs like:

Open Office (love it!)
Mozilla Firefox
AVG (free)
Ad-Aware (free)
CCleaner (free)
Recuva (free)
Auslogics Defrag (free)

But any suggestions would be appreciated!!

But I have a question relating to the problems I had after that recovery I mentioned earlier in this topic. I lost basics like WordPad and Paint, and I don't know how to get them back, since I don't have the XP CD. Maybe I should start a new topic for this.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
[url="http://<a%20href="http://download.microsoft.com/download/winntwks40/paint/1/nt4/en-us/paintnt.exe"%20target="_blank">http://download.micr...exe</a>"]Microsoft Paint[/url]
Wordpad, It is the last link at the bottom of the page.

Avg I have never liked as it is a known resource hog and can slow your system down. I use Avast which updates usually twice a day and i have never had a problem with it.
Please download Avast from my signature below. Please make sure you do the registration as it is good for a year or more. When it is due simply just re-register it.
Avast in my opinion is better because:
It's FREE to the Home User
It Updates it's Definitions daily
You can scan Individual Files, Folders and Drives
No buying new versions every year

http://www.avast.com...avast-home.html

A registry cleaner like Ccleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable.
We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there.
Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

Edited by rshaffer61, 30 April 2010 - 06:04 AM.

purple21

purple21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
The Microsoft Paint link didn't seem to work!
And I've also lost Calculator, Solitaire, and Spider Solitaire in the same way.

AVG seems to have all the pros Avast does, except bogging my PC down. I've heard that McAfee and Norton do that, and that AVG doesn't. I'll have to try Avast, though, since my Internet connection is slow!

About registry cleaners, that's scary!! I downloaded CCleaner to help increase my speed because my computer was slowing down. After I ran the registry cleaner, it actually did speed up. But if it can ruin my registry...I don't like that!! What else can I do to speed up my computer? Could some of the problems be that it's so full? And what about just using CCleaner to clean out temp files, since it seems to clean out more than drive cleaner and does it faster, too? Would that be ok?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The easiest way and most sure fire way to get all these programs back is to borrow a XP cd from someone and install them from that.
You are already using Auslogics defrag which is better in my opinion then windows defrag.
You can use either ATF or TFC to get rid of the temp files, cache files and internet history and browsing files.
This will keep your system from slowing down also.

Edited by rshaffer61, 05 May 2010 - 02:16 PM.

purple21

purple21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Ok. Thanks!!

purple21

purple21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Is that as easy as say, installing a game? And will it just install what is missing? In other words, it won't change anything like a recovery would do, right? Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep, if you run sfc /scannow it may also replace or repair the missing files. To do it you would need the XP disk also.

purple21

purple21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Ok. Thanks! Now to find someone who has an XP disk!! :)

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Remember it needs to be of the same type (home or XP)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Using something other then the same version may cause instability or unusability to the system so be careful.

purple21

purple21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Yes. Thanks!! :)