Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two HDDs, Two OSes

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
From everything I'm told, HD's are all about the same as far as reliability goes minus a few known bad designs in the past, but I have to agree with you I tend to hear more good about Western Digital than any other hard drive manufacturer and it is what I have always purchased new and I've always had great success with accurate speeds advertised by WD.

On top of that, I have that exact 640gb 32mb cache Caviar Black and I'm very happy with it. Here is an image of the benchmark that exact drive provided for me.

Posted Image

Advertisements

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Hmmm...

The catch is: Do I want to spend the same amount and get maybe 300G more space, or get something with a higher success rate for stability....

I think I might just go with the WD. I don't have time to be RMA'ing drives. Although, I could be missing a great deal..

I'm not that great with reading HDD timing, but from the reviews I have read the samsung seems to be faster..

What do you think?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
The Samsung Drive is faster, that is for sure, but 1TB for $70-$80? Hmmm, I'd like to think you get what you pay for. I wonder what the warranty is like? How long will the drive last? Why not spend $20 more and go with a TB Caviar Black? http://www.newegg.co...6-284-_-Product

Can you afford that?

EDIT: And about 25mb/s average faster, but are you gonna notice that? Do you transfer gb upon gb's of data a lot? I don't think I would notice with the way I use my computer, if I transfer 100gb or something, I do it and continue working on my computer or walk away. I don't care if it takes 5 minutes longer or whatever. ya know?

Edited by Ferrari, 25 April 2010 - 08:35 PM.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts

Can you afford that?

I own a diamond studded swimming pool and a gold Humvee, so duh.

Yeah, I can swing that. :) One of the benefits of still living at home. :)

Speed wise they still seem to up in the air, but the WD seems to have higher success rates. I'll do some more research on it.

Thanks Ferrari! :)

Edit: Just saw your edit. Nah I don't transfer that much data around (yet). I'll probably end up going with the WD...

Edited by Cold Titanium, 25 April 2010 - 08:44 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

I'll do some more research on it.

Since I know you are fairly savvy with that is why I haven't linked to several pages saying one way or another, it's your job! :) :)

But I did look on Tomshardware.com and the Samsung reads and writes 25mb/s faster on the average rates compared to the caviar black. I'll leave the rest to you. :)

EDIT: Just saw that you edited after reading my edit. Yeah, I'd go WD, it's who I like the most. Just don't go with Death Stars, I mean Hitachi Deskstars. :) Bad sectors all the time. =/

Edited by Ferrari, 25 April 2010 - 08:47 PM.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts

don't go with Death Stars

I totally agree, they are a really cheesy band

I'll leave the rest to you.

laaaazzyyyy!!!! :) I actually have to use my brain and work?!? You're meeeean...

Tankee Ferrari! :)

Edit: I edited stuff

Edited by Cold Titanium, 25 April 2010 - 08:54 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

I actually have to use my brain and work?!? You're meeeean...

Tech stuff is easier than Malware stuff... you should come to the dark side... muuuaaahahaha :)

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Ha. Your cookies would have to be pretty darn good for that. I enjoy the malware aspect. You should get into GeekU, it's very rewarding (and I haven't even graduated yet)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I was part of Geek U and made it to Junior Level, but I dropped it because I'm more interested in the tech side of things.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Hmph. You're weird then. I can't believe you aren't in the Tech Academy yet.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

I can't believe you aren't in the Tech Academy yet.

I think they forgot about me. :) I help like I'm staff, so that's all that matters, but the title, responsibility, and access to staff forums would be awesome. :) It would be a great feeling of accomplishment.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts

I think they forgot about me

Maybe they're just jealous because you drive a Ferrari.

Come to think about it...

Now I'm jealous

:)

Naah, HEY ADMINS AND MODS!!11! I HEREBY DECLARE FERRARI ELIGABLE 4 TEH TECHIES ACADEMY!!1!

I haz spoken.

There. If that doesn't work, nothing will. For some reason these folks here don't like to listen to to a god(me)when he speaks.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Maybe they're just jealous because you drive a Ferrari.

Ahhh, well. I only drive a Ferrari in my dreams. Not in real life. I wish!!!

HEY ADMINS AND MODS!!11! I HEREBY DECLARE FERRARI ELIGABLE 4 TEH TECHIES ACADEMY!!1!

I might send a PM to Wannabe1 or Sari and see what they think. :)

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
The 1TB Samsung Spinpoint is a terrific drive. I'd get it over the 640GB WD Black for the same price.

That said, if the second drive is just going to be used for storage, you might want to look into getting a 2TB WD Green drive, which gives you more GB/$. You can find them for ~$120 on sale, I just picked one up at that price for use in my DIY-DVR project. They're slower, so not ideal for booting off of, but they are perfect for storage.

On a side note, be patient on Tech Academy, Ferrari. I was here almost 3 years before I got inducted. Just keep up the good work.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts

I might send a PM to Wannabe1 or Sari and see what they think

NooOoOo! If Sari seez that she'll kill me! *HIDES (WIHT DIGNATIY)* <<-- Because hiding as a deity is embarising.

Later Ferrari, I'm off to bed (blargh, I did too many backflips on the trampoline today. My head and stomach are still spinning.)

And Thanks for the Info, I'll post when I get it all setup (should be within 1-3 Weeks)

Edit: Just saw stettybets post. Greaaaaat, more to think about. Thanks for the info, I know what I'm going to be researching during luch break tomorrow. :)

On a side note, be patient on Tech Academy, Ferrari. I was here almost 3 years before I got inducted. Just keep up the good work.

Here Ferrari, you'll need this when you get inducted:

Posted Image

Edited by Cold Titanium, 25 April 2010 - 09:55 PM.