Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP WITH MOBO PROB!

• Please log in to reply

spyderxombie

spyderxombie

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello, I have a problem with my self-built pc. I have just recently replaced the hard drive the video card and the dvd drive, also the ram is fairly new. I have a Intel Dual Core processor and my Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3L. My problem is that about a month ago I installed windows xp on my machine and after about a week it crashed and just kept restarting since then i have not been able to get any operating system installed on my computer i have tried xp again and it gets to the formatting screen and the screen just goes blue after a few minutes not blue screen of death just plain blue. The same thing happens when i have tried windows 7... after it starts setup it just goes blank... sometimes it has even gone blank before the disk loads and the screen will go blank during the loading screen with my motherboard brand on it. The only thing i can figure is either my mobo or my processor is somehow shot... and advice or suggestions would be aprreciated!!

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Try booting the 32-bit version of Ubuntu from a CD-R.
http://www.ubuntu.co...ubuntu/download

If you can get it to boot and run, that would be a great start.

spyderxombie

spyderxombie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
im dling ubuntu as we speak ill see if that works any other ideas?

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Your problem could be with the optical drive, hard drive, RAM, motherboard, or something else. Let's see if Ubuntu works, then we'll go from there.

spyderxombie

spyderxombie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
will take awhile 2 download will be back with results

spyderxombie

spyderxombie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ok i tried installing ubuntu and after loading screen i get this message over and over with a different number at the beginning every time: 176.836295 Buffer I/O Error on device fd0, logical block 0

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Disable the floppy drive in the BIOS and try Ubuntu again. The live CD should boot to a working desktop in no more than two minutes.

spyderxombie

spyderxombie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
when i try to go into my bios the screen cuts out and goes blank

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
This is clearly a problem. (Clever, huh?)

Strip the PC down to one DIMM of RAM, the CPU, optical drive, power supply, and the motherboard. Remove all other cables and power connectors. Try booting the Ubuntu CD with this hardware configuration and see if it works.

If it does, test the RAM with Memtest.
http://www.memtest.o...6 -4.00.iso.zip

If it does not boot, remove the optical drive and try once more.

spyderxombie

spyderxombie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ok i disconnected everything as you said and it starts 2 load ubuntu but then it just gives me a screen with a command prompt: (initramfs)

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Remove the optical drive and see if you can navigate the BIOS without it locking up.