Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building from Scratch

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Can you list everything you have right now? I'd like a definite list of everything you have as this whole thread has been discussing various parts.

I wouldn't be so worried about the voltages as the type of RAM - DDRII, DDRIII. Some of the better brand RAM is rated at higher voltages than standard JEDEC specification - this is because it is performance RAM and can handle extra voltage for better performance. Answer the list above and we'll see what we've got and where we can go from here.

Above all, don't force anything, take it easy!

Advertisements

K_Lorber

K_Lorber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Alright first let me say that even using your guide I've hit a block now. Very skittish about going on much farther without live help of some sort. Waiting on a saavy friend to get online but somewhat afraid of going any further. I'm pretty sure I have everything in right but wiring is now up in the air in terms of my ability to do it.

Processor: i5-750
Heatsink: Hyper 212
PSU: Antec 650W
Motherboard: DP55WG
Graphics Card: GTS 250 nvidia PNY (XLR8)
Hard Drive: Western Digital 500GB SATA
RAM: Corsair DDR3 XMS3 1.5v (on back of packaging)
DVD-R drive from my previous computer (HP)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
K_Lorber,

Wow, apparently I wasn't receiving my topic reply notifications via email for this thread, so it seems to have moved along rather quickly. :)

Let me know if you still need help with the wiring. I can make a picture of where everything goes if you need me too... that is if I'm not swamped tomorrow/available before Troy or DaffyKantReed. It would look similar to this... HERE It's late, time for bed. :)

K_Lorber

K_Lorber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Except for the need for a SATA optical drive (the one frmo my previous computer is IDE) and a keyboard (doh! - there's no ps/2 port) the computer is finished. Heading out to pick up those items today and then will be all set.

Had a friend come over last night to give me a hand with the wiring but he said all my placement of the various components was spot on. Just needed some help with the hooking in of stuff and the wire organization.

Heatsink is fine as far as I know - I just hope I got the thermal paste right!

Will add in some pictures later on!

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
When it comes to thermal paste, less is more. IOW, the thinnest even layer which will cover the heat spreader is best.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Will add in some pictures later on!

Please do, I would love to see it. :)