Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP, MBR Grief

• Please log in to reply

shaun_023

shaun_023

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Command prompt as in:
start
all programs
accessories
command prompt
click

hadn't thought of your way. Maybe they're the same thing(?).
tried it out and, yes, that worked too (although not as friendly as the former which lets me see the stats).

I'm starting to suspect that my Recovery CD (burned via Artellos.com) may be the culprit here.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I'm starting to suspect that my Recovery CD (burned via Artellos.com) may be the culprit here.

Now that you said that I would have to agree that it may be a bad burn. Artellos is very good and highly respected. His programs are used a lot here so it has to be a faulty burn. Do it the way I suggested and you should have no problems.

shaun_023

shaun_023

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ahhh ... that would be the bottom of post 3. At the time I didn't have the XP CD but now I do. I loaded the Recovery Console up (XP CD) and CHKDSK ran just fine! To be on the safe side I also rebuilt boot.ini and rewrote the boot sector.

Well mate, I came here with a serious boot problem on a very sick PC and now have a rejuvinated computer with some annoying partition quirks fixed as well. That's Above and Beyond!!! I know from experience how difficult it is to resolve technical issues long distance. My virtual hat's off to both you and your buddies for your perseverance in the arena.

I think this closes the thread unless there are any other steps for me to take. I'm off to see the Doctor on the Malware forum to complete the PC's check-up.

Best Regards,

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well I am very happy to hear we have accomplished resolving your issues. Hopefully with all we have done someone later can be helped also. I hope that gives you some comfort for all the stress you have been through these past weeks.
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

Withoutprejudice1

Withoutprejudice1

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Great job rshaffer61. Very thorough layout and procedure.