Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop "loses" CD-ROM after win 7 upgrade

• Please log in to reply

AF_Money

AF_Money

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
So here's a tricky one. Here's my specs before we get started:

Acer Timeline 4810TZ.-4696
SU2700 1.3 GHz CPU
GMA4500MHD Intel video card
3Gb RAM
Orginally came with Vista 64

I have upgraded to win7 64 from Vista 64. Sometimes my laptop sees my cd-rom. Sometimes not. It almost acts like it turns off the cd-rom anytime I take a cd out and does not recognize a new cd. For example, when I play command and conqure generals (which requires the cd to play) As long as I leave the cd in, i can play it whenever I want with no issues. But when I try to install Sim City 4, it requires 2 cd's install. It sometimes reads the first cd, sometimes not. sometimes I can reboot the computer and it will recognize the cd-rom, sometimes not. Sometimes I can update the chipset driver and it will then see the cd-rom. Sometimes not. One thing it does ALL the time, is once I get the install process going on Sim City, and it says "insert disk 2", as soon as i pull out disk 1, my computer no longer recognizes a cd drive, and will not read the 2nd cd to continue the installation. I have had this problem with other cd's, both liscensed and cd/rw types. Is there a driver that needs to be updated? Dare I say, I almost want vista back. This win 7 upgrade has created nothing but headaches. Thanks for yur help

Advertisements

AF_Money

AF_Money

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I also get the alert: Removable Storage device detected when I open my CD ROM at the bottom right task bar, but windows does not recognize it in my computer. Sorry If i picked the wrong thread for this, but like i said, i only started having this problem after i installed win 7.

AF_Money

AF_Money

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Some more troubleshooting steps later:

So i figured out, that it only loses the cd-rom when i press the eject button. If this post needs to be moved to a more suitable thread, feel free to move it

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
So its as if when you press the eject button the machine is logically ejecting the device. Is there a firmware upgrade for your drive? If not, I would contact Acer about it.

AF_Money

AF_Money

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Yep you got it. Computer ejecting the drive is the best explanation I've heard. Hit the nail on the head :) I even went as far as to just popping the little release pin with a paper clip to replace cd's. Which it doesn't lose the drive when I do it that way and i can open and close it all day long with no problems using the release button. Something screwy going on with my eject button...

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
So if you pop open the drive with a paper clip it still works fine then. I would go ahead and replace the drive then.