Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Difference between LCD TV, LCD monitor, & TV monitor

• Please log in to reply

Phylactery

Phylactery

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I haven’t the foggiest idea if there is a difference but the guy in the store (who shall remain nameless due to their geeky reputation) said a “TV monitor” is different then if you bought an LCD TV and used it as a monitor or if you bought an LCD monitor and bought a TV tuner.

He said because a TV monitor is truly a TV and truly a monitor. It goes from one mode to another. Where is the other ones simply “allow” you to use it as a monitor or TV.

Any truth in that?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
It really depends on specific model numbers, size, and features but in general, standard TV resolutions are not as good as resolutions supported in today's computer monitors. A TV that offers monitor features can be expected to support higher resolutions, but not necessarily the highest supported by a decent graphics card. A computer monitor connected to a PC that has a TV tuner offers the best of both worlds - depending on the features of the tuner.

Note that 1080p resolution is 1920×1080 while many computer monitors support 2560 x 1600, and perhaps higher.

Phylactery

Phylactery

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks!

My TV monitor is a 27" 1080p and I think you might be right about the graphics card not being able to handle the resolution of the TV monitor.

I'll look into that thanks.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
You are welcome.