Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Boot Problems

• Please log in to reply

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
A friend of mine is having problems with his XP Pro machine. I arrived to find a machine that just froze during the boot process. Attempting to boot into safe mode gave a BSOD with this error:

"Stop: c000021a {Fatal System Error}"

We couldn't find his OEM XP disk, so I used my XP Pro SP3 Retail disk along with his key to do a repair installation. That went through and hung on the "Please Wait" screen. After about 20 minutes I forced a reboot using the power button and was presented with the user login screen.

I entered his password and got a warning that I needed to activate Windows. I said "Yes" to the warning, entered his password and got into the desktop. The problem is that the desktop is blank and I can't do anything. No ctrl-alt-del, no Windows Key + R to get a run box. I can't even right click on the desktop.

The odd thing is that Windows OneCare loads and asks me to check the status of the PC. Weird.

Other than that, I can't do anything. After the repair installation, I am able to boot into safe mode. If I boot into Safe Mode with Networking, I'm again prompted by the activation screen and get a blank desktop. If I boot into normal Safe Mode, I get everything. All the icons and everything seems to work properly. The problem is that I can't run SFC to repair any of the system files.

Any suggestions, because I'm out of ideas. Oh, and I guess following the repair installation, all the restore points are gone, according to the System Restore Screen.

Thanks!

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 22 May 2010 - 02:59 PM.

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Well, I have an update. I went through the repair installation using his OEM CD that we found. I got to the "Please Wait" screen and it hung. I forced a reboot and was able to log into windows and all of the icons were present. Right away I got an error message saying that there was a problem with winlogon and it needed to close. I clicked "Send to Microsoft" and about 15 seconds later I was back to the BSOD:

Stop: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows SubSystem system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000005 (0x7c9106c3 0x00bbf36c)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try the following and see if it helps.
Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions and program

Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

If that doesn't work we may need to look at the crss.exe to see the problem.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Thanks for the response rshaffer, but I was unable to run the blue screen viewer because I couldn't keep the PC up long enough to get any information. It was booting in safe mode and then after a couple reboots, it started crashing. I was able to run the chkdsk, which did find some errors, but it didn't help.

I ended up just doing a re-installation. When I set up his machine, I split the volume into 2 partitions, one for the OS and one for data. So all we had to do was the updates, printer and install a couple programs.

Thanks again and I really appreciate the time you spent putting that post together.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 24 May 2010 - 06:30 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is good to hear and I'm glad it is resolved. Sorry I couldn't be off more help but it's great to ehar you got it resolved. Good thinking about the 2nd partition as this does save a lot of time.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Well, it seems as though I spoke too soon.

He just texted me a picture of his newest BSOD. Here is the error code, which I've never seen before.

STOP: 0x00008086 (0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

There is no file name given and this is a fresh install. Keep in mind this is a RAID 1 Array on Windows XP using the ICH8R matrix and the Intel Matrix Manager v6.5. Thanks!

EDIT -> I was talking to him on the phone and we seem to have narrowed things down to this happening when you try to defrag the machine. The first time it happened he was running MyDefrag. I asked him to try the built-in Windows defrag and the same thing happened. Weird.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 25 May 2010 - 06:31 AM.

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Spyderturbo007,

Sounds like we're geared towards a possible default in hardware. Unfortunately I'm at work and don't have the time to write up instructions for you, but I'm sure someone will come along and provide one. I'd definitely check the hard drive and memory first for any possible defects. I had a client who constantly received BSODs even after a clean reinstall and it was due to a fault hard drive so we replaced it and everything was golden.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I had checked the memory prior to the last installation and everything tested fine. Both by removing individual sticks and when running Memtest. I didn't do an intensive HDD scan, but chkdsk didn't show any problems with surface scan and the RAID array doesn't report any problems.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but I'm leaning towards a RAID problem especially since it only happens when he tries to defrag.

From looking around at this error message, it seems to point to a RAID / chipset problem. But the only things I can find are from '05. I pulled the drivers right off Dell's website and wouldn't know where to start when downloading them off Intel's website.

I'm having him email me an Everest Report, so hopefully that will allow someone to point me in the right direction.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 25 May 2010 - 06:57 AM.

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Interesting. I haven't particularly dealt with RAID arrays and controllers so I won't be of much assistance. I'd be interested though to see what the solution returns.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Nothing on the Everest report. He gets a warning that the PC is running an Intel ICH8R South Bridge which is incompatible with Everest.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 25 May 2010 - 09:46 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have him try this.
Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

http://auslogics.com...defrag/download

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Well, my friend doesn't listen very well. I told him to run the Auslogics defrag and he went ahead and ran the one included with Bit Defender. Apparently that greeted him with the BSOD shortly into the process. He said he rebooted and the machine started it's check disk prior to boot.

He sent me this picture.

Posted Image

When the check disk completed he was able to boot into Windows and the Matrix Manager indicated his RAID array was degraded. I told him to start the rebuild process and everything completed successfully. The Matrix Manager shows no signs of a failed drive, nor does the ICH8R controller screen that you get right after POST. Weird.

I'm still waiting for his Mini dumps. He's a little slow sometimes. :)

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 27 May 2010 - 08:49 AM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Is he actually using a RAID setup?

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Yes, it's an on board Intel setup.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Its definetely an AHCI driver issue.

This is what I suggest. Set your ports to AHCI mode, install Windows, update the Storage Matrix drivers, reset AHCI to RAID mode and setup the array again.