Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP stuck at Splash Screen

• Please log in to reply

BlackJack999

BlackJack999

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hey all, this is my first post, as I am completely stuck about my situation. My laptop has recently been having problems moving past the splash screen (after reviewing many topics about this, I feel that it is the appropriate term, in which the scrolling blue bar with the windows logo is said "splash screen").

Anyhow, I was able to run the laptop in safe mode, and I removed all my files. stupidly, I did a re-format before pursuing possible help options. so, now I cannot go beyond the splash screen, nor can I run it in safe mode as setup is not complete.

I should mention that this is a Sony Vaio VGN-SZ320P.
* Processsor: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5600 1.83 GHz
* Screen Size: 13.3" WXGA (1280 x 800)
* Memory: 1 GB (512 MB x 2) / 2 GB (max)
* Hard Drive: 120 GB
* Optical Drive: DVD±RW (+R DL) / DVD-RAM
* Networking: Fast Ethernet 10/100, 802.11a/b/g, Bluetooth, Wireless WAN Cellular

* Integrated Features: Biometric Fingerprint Sensor, Trusted Platform Module (TPM) TCG Ver.1.2 compliant
* Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition with SP2, (Windows Vista Premium Capable)
* Battery Life: 3.5 to 6 hours
* Weight: 4.1 lbs
* Warranty: One Year Limited

I am moderately computer literate, and can follow instructions when things get beyond my abilities on my own.

I assume that it passed POST as, after pressing a button combo, it recognizes my ram, cpu, hard drive, and CD-rom drive. BIOS wasn't much help after looking around in there. then it displays the Sony logo, and goes to the splash screen in an infinite loop.

What can I do to diagnose the problem?

Advertisements

BlackJack999

BlackJack999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
EDIT:

Ok, well, first off, its getting late where I am, but before calling it quits, I have found the magical F8 key. So I shall see what goodies I can dig up with it, and explore my options further. I'll keep you all posted on my progress, and I ask that if you do have advice (hopefully good), that you post it so that I may try whatever schemes we may come up with. :)

BlackJack999

BlackJack999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
EDIT: I pressed F8, and found a variety of options. after trying to boot in VGA mode, I had no luck. Then there was the option for Directory Services Repair. I figure I can't hurt this thing now. It booted in safe mode and for once I am seeing a tiny blue picture (about half the screen). with text that says
Microsoft ® Windows ® Version 5.1 (Build 2600: Service Pack 2)
2 System Processors [1023 MB Memory] MultiProcessor Kernel
The System is booting in safemode - Directory Services Repair

nothing has happened for 5 minutes. Do I need to do something? I see nothing to enter here, but, maybe a button combo?

BlackJack999

BlackJack999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
UPDATE: well, this was odd. For one brief moment, it seemed as though it wanted to work. it left the splash screen, then went back to the splash screen with "please wait..." replacing the blue scrolling bar. then it restarted. now it is hanging at the same place again.

BlackJack999

BlackJack999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
UPDATE: final one for the night folks. SAFE mode now works. I think I can work with it from here, as there were a lot of other options I read about using RUN and the like. goodnight, and sorry for so much bumpage.

BlackJack999

BlackJack999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
system is hanging on mup.sys after looking at the bootlog.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Mup.sys is one of those errors that is hard to correct. The issue is not mup but whatever driver is trying to load after it. The issue is every system is different so there is normally no way to resolve it without a format and reinstall of the OS.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Or at least a repair install.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Repair installation rarely will fix this issue that we have seen in the past here.
We can try it to see if it will work in this case.

What I would suggest you do is to Backup your Data Files.
For this I would suggest using a External Hard Drive Enclosure. This will allow you to keep your Important Data safe and Separated from the main system in case of problems. The cost for this kind of Backup System has come down a lot. I would suggest a 500 Gig capacity for your needs. Since you will only be Backing Up Data Files Only this should be sufficient to do that for you. Follow the next two links to see examples of the price you will be looking at.
HERE
HERE

I suggest going to Microsofts Backup Tutorial and follow the steps to do a Backup to a External Drive and also it will guide you on how to do a Scheduled Backup even at night.

Another way you can do a Backup is by using DVD’s. This method is just as effective and can be done using the same steps as above.

After the above is done then go on to the next step.

Repair Installation Instructions

· Insert your Windows XP CD in your CD-ROM and then Restart your computer.
· At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter System Bios
· Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen.
· You will need to change the boot sequence so that the CDrom is first and the HD is second.
· Press F10 to Save and Exit and then press Enter to accept.
· The system will now reboot
· When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
· When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER
· To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
· At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION.

· On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
· Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected and highlighted in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.
· Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

You can also go HERE
to read a step by step tutorial with screenshots.

BlackJack999

BlackJack999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
To the above poster I thank you forte advice, however there is a small catch. This computer did not come with the OS cd, as the OS was OEM. I have recovery discs, one of which has SYSCHK that I need to run. I'll try workin with your advice and see if I van find it through that...

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
See if this will get you to a hidden recovery partition on your hd.
At the Sony logo screen start tapping F10
If it does work it should get you to the recovery partition.
Now some recovery partitions have two choices to do this.
Non Destructive which would replace or repair any missing OS files.
Destructive would be a total format and re-installation of the system It would just as it was brand new. This would result in the loss of all data so be careful.

BlackJack999

BlackJack999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I pressed F10, and it has only given me the option to restore my C drive, which I have done twice now. I have contacted one of my Professors, and he is also lending a hand in this matter, so I will post his ideas later so that this article might become a one-stop-shop learning lesson for fixing this problem.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Also, lets test the hard drive. Lots of times the machine will hang or loop at the splash screen because of that.

BlackJack999

BlackJack999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
What exactly do you have in mind for testing the hard drive? I'm currently under the assumption that it is working properly, as I have been able to reinstall Recovery Discs (which hold the OS and other info) twice now. However, that last time was a mistake, as I went too far in exploring the recovery discs and it started anew. can anyone tell me if there is a way to force the setup to finish? I cannot access safe mode otherwise...

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
There really isnt a way to "force" it to finish. Download Hirens from my signature, burn the iso, and run the hard drive diagnostics for your brand of drive. You should be able to determine what brand it is from the BIOS.