Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Easy XP Tweaks

• Please log in to reply

dclarke

dclarke

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Tweak #2: Turn off Indexing to Speed up Response Time
1. Open up "My Computer"
2. Right-click on your hard drive (usually "C:") and choose "Properties"
3. Uncheck the box at the bottom that reads "Allow Indexing Service to..."

I have XP but when I do 1 and 2 then Properties there isn't a box that reads "Allow Indexing Service ...."

If this step is just to remove existing files, can I do it manually? If so what files should I delete?

Advertisements

dinkaragg

dinkaragg

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Menu Speed---------
You might want to change the delay you notice when you click the Start menu.Go to the Registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\MenuShowDelay. The default value is 400. Set it to 0 to remove the delay completely, but if you do that it will be nearly impossible to move the mouse fast enough not to activate All Programs if you mouse over it en route to your final selection. Pick a number that suits your style, make the change, and then test it until you find a good compromise between speed and usability.

Place Windows Kernel into RAM---------
It’s a given that anything that runs in RAM will be faster than an item that has to access the hard drive and virtual memory. Rather than have the kernel that is the foundation of XP using the slower Paging Executive functions, use this hack to create and set the DisablePagingExecutive DWORD to a value of 1. Perform this hack only if the system has 256MB or more of installed RAM!
Edit the Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\DisablePagingExecutive to 1 to disable paging and have the kernel run in RAM (set the value to 0 to undo this hack). Exit the Registry and reboot.

becky2005

becky2005

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for those tweaks, I always felt my computer took to long to boot for its size. Wonder how many more useful tips i will get here. :tazz: Only one i couldn't do was turn off the index the box just wasn't there.

jdm

jdm

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Check out pages 88 and on in this XP Tweak Guide below. I've got IE running faster than Firefox now. Of course, I (still) can't do tabbed browsing, but still!

Click here.

Filename: TweakGuides_XPTC.zip

Version: 1.07

Last Updated: April 2005

Size: 1.8MB

Cost: Free

What is the Windows XP Tweaking Companion?

The Windows XP Tweaking Companion (XPTC) is the complete Windows XP and system optimization guide. No longer do you have to put up with so-called XP Tweak Guides which have a handful of Registry tweaks and some vague optimization advice - the XPTC brings an enormous range of detailed descriptions and resources together in one free 170 page downloadable PDF file. Everything from the correct installation of Windows and critical software and drivers, through to recommendations for every significant setting in XP, all the major performance, visual and convenience tweaks, and descriptions of XP's functionality. The XPTC includes comprehensive chapters on overclocking, benchmarking and stress testing, troubleshooting and regular maintenance procedures. Basically the XPTC is the mother of all Windows XP Tweak Guides and System Optimization Guides, and it's right here for you to try for yourself.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I really needed these tweaks and thanks.

Please run me through this below tweak again, can't see why I shouldn't just put in the XP cd and run repair "r", what is meant by source files, does it work without the XP cd?

[I]Start WindowsXP,
Go to the location of your source files,
Run WINNT32 /unattend
[/I]

Anyway, if it is a repair without the CD backup, full marks for the person that offered this tweak. :tazz:

chessonly

chessonly

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Tweak #3: Turn off Hibernation

If you don't use the Hibernation feature of XP, it's taking up a lot of unnecessary hard drive space. The

Before anybody disables it i hope they know what hibernation is .
it is an xtremely useful xp feature, which saves your user state(all windows, apps)
so that when u start your computer u r where u left and u don't need to log in either.

Edited by chessonly, 18 May 2005 - 01:20 AM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I do this on all XP computers I work on. An error message can give me a valuable clue, and it's hard to jolt XP out of an endless booting loop.

Turn off auto restart
Control Panel/System/Advanced/Startup and recovery
uncheck auto restart.

Johanna

seth20032

seth20032

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
:tazz: the xp hacking tweak is good!!!

parboil

parboil

• Pip
  • 4 posts
wow these tweeks really do make a difference...i feel at home here.
tnx 4 d info...keep it up...
i think i'll dig up some info 4 ya'll 2 soon.

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Thanks, I love the antimessenger tweak

Advertisements

mohsin

mohsin

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
thnx for sharing man .. gerat one .. keep it up