Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

missing rundll32.exe, along with other problems

• Please log in to reply

ohgoditsmel

ohgoditsmel

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there. A while back I got a virus that screwed with a couple things. While I got rid of the virus, it left its mark. I seem to be missing my rundll32.exe file that enables me to open most applications, especially sound control. A lot of people can't open icons when this happens, but I found a way around it by right-clicking and selecting Run as Administrator. It then asks for permission to open, and I'm fine. The problem is, is my computer wigged out when I happened to have the sound muted, and the controls for it on the keyboard don't seem to be working anymore, so I can't un-mute it. The only way I can think of to fix this, and a couple other problems, I imagine, is to get rundll32.exe. I run Vista (eugh), if that helps. Is there a trusted site I can perhaps download it?

Another problem I have is I can't open certain websites. During the computer-freak-out I spoke of, I had two websites open. Now I cannot open either of them, though I know they're still up because I have seen other people access them since then. When I type in the address (in Firefox, as IE has given me too many problems) it says it "can't find the server." Any idea why this could be?

I'm thinking if I can't fix this I'm going to back up all the important stuff and reinstall Vista. I just need to find the disks...

If anyone can help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Advertisements

ali.B

ali.B

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,086 posts
hi

do you have your Windows CD ?

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.