Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ubuntu Linux is always crashing.

• Please log in to reply

mattnanokid

mattnanokid

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi, I've just installed Ubuntu, and it is working very fast compared to Windows XP, but I've been having some problems with it. For example, when I first boot up, my cursor doesn't show up, so I have to guess where it is on the screen, and go to the Monitor preferences. Next, I have to select "Apply". After that the cursor will show up. My other problem is when I do some things on the internet, such as downloading Adobe Flash player, my computer crashes. It's done that multiple times. After it crashes, it goes to a black screen, and the only thing I can do is shut my computer down with the power button on the machine itself. My computer only has 256 MEgabytes of ram, but other than these two issues, my computer is running faster than ever. Is there an update that can fix this, or any other thing to do? Thanks in advance for your help. :)

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Ubuntu using Gnome will require 512MB RAM at minimum. If you have a 1GHz processor and 512MB RAM you should not have too much trouble assuming the hardware is operating correctly.

To install Adobe Flash, open the command prompt and type the following lines, each followed by the enter key. Also, enter the password when prompted.

sudo aptitude update

sudo aptitude purge flashplugin-installer

sudo aptitude install flashplugin-installer

tholley

tholley

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
I know this is a month too late (somebody else reading may have similar probs), but I would recommend trying xubuntu.

Xubuntu: This version of Ubuntu is based on the Xfce desktop
environment (www.xfce.org). This is a stripped-down desktop
designed to run optimally on all types of hardware, particularly
older, less-powerful computers. However, it features much of the
same software as the main Ubuntu release, and is just as featurepacked.
As with Kubuntu, it is still Ubuntu under the hood.