Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

after reformat now only black screen with cursor

• Please log in to reply

cindy99

cindy99

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello. I could really use some help!
I moved my old computer (HP 511n with windows xp -- 1.3 GHz -- 128 mb -- I updated the video card to Verto 32 MB when I bought the computer a few years ago) to my sons room. I did the reformat so it would be like new for him. After booting up it all looked great. We turned it off, turned it back on later and you could see the desktop photo that he chose but nothing else! The advice I got from HP was to do a reformat again so I tapped the f10 key and hopefully did the reformat (couldn't see ANYTHING but a black screen) The computer boots up this morning and you can hear music playing and a guys voice say welcome to your new hp computer I am here to assist you. But, I can's see ANYTHING but a dark grey screen and my mouse pointer! I don't know what to do! At this point,
I am a little leary of advice from HP! Any help at all would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.
Cindy

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Try opening the case and re-seating the video card.

cindy99

cindy99

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I tried it. I opened the case, took the video card out and put it back in. Still the same thing. Start up music -- and an arrow -- dark screen...

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
next step I would try would be to use a different monitor. You want to rule out various components as being the cause. If that is not it, try changing out the video card. You said you upgraded to a new video card? Maybe you could try putting the old one back?

Another thing to consider it that the settings are not right. Can you boot into safe mode? This uses windows default settings. If you can do that, it rules out hardware and is a settings or driver issue.

Edited by austin_o, 23 May 2005 - 06:57 AM.

cindy99

cindy99

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I took out the new video card and it works great! I will install the software and put the new video card back in (maybe)!
Thank you so much for all of your help!! :tazz: