Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium/Hard drive trouble

• Please log in to reply

fenrir888

fenrir888

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Well, i just recently built a new custom gaming computer, and I had just recently fixed a RAM issue that resulted in my computer not posting. After a month of waiting (fried 2 motherboards and a CPU in the process of finding the source of the issue)i finally managed to get the computer to post. Thinking my trouble was finally over i went into the BIOS and set the cd/dvd drive as the first to boot, and started installing Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium. Unfortunately i am stuck with another problem. Windows cannot see my Western Digital 640GB hard drive. When i try to format it, windows says it cannot. The BIOS can see the hard drive, but i don't know why i am unable to format the hard drive.

here's my system specs:
Gigabyte M68M-S2P Motherboard
Nvidia GeForce 9800 512MB
Corsair 4GB 1.8V RAM
AMD Anthlon-II 3.0GHz Triple Core Processor
Western Digital WD6401AALS hard drive

Advertisements

Brother Bill

Brother Bill

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
The drive you're using is a SATA drive. The necessary drivers for SATA will have to be installed manually before you can install Vista (or XP). Have a look at this article by John Barnett. Hope it helps.

Installing RAID/SATA Drivers