Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strangest sound problem i've ever seen

• Please log in to reply

smmalis

smmalis

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
OK guys, every time I've had a computer problem I couldn't solve, you've been able to. Lets see if you can handle the strangest one yet.

I'm using an EVGA P55 mobo, and the onboard sound chip in Win 7. Every so often, while I'm in a game (any game) my sound dies. Now when I say my sound dies, I mean system wide. Every program I've tried will be silent. This can only be fixed by a reboot. The strange part is, while trying to figure out what was going on, I turned on microphone listening, so I could hear what i said into my mic. Surprisingly enough, I indeed heard my voice coming from my headphones, despite the fact that i didn't hear the music WMP was playing (on full volume).

When this problem occurs, Windows seems to make no notice of it. There is nothing in the Event Log, nothing has changed in Device Manager, and the sound mixer displays programs as still producing sound. I have updated the drivers to several different versions, and am now at my wits end.

Advertisements

smmalis

smmalis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Can somebody please help me with this? It's really frustrating.