Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems with new graphics card pro/660

• Please log in to reply

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
he was using the onboard originally. it wasnt up to par to run his newer games. these games are not even resource hungry, it was just too much for the onboard video.
in terms of PCI video, I remember something he toggled in the BIOS from early in the thread about PCI video. thats what got me on that idea.

dogbiscuit, just to be safe, a torch is a flashlight. thats brit speak. please dont wrap an old shirt around a stick, dip it in gas, and light it up! ;)
oh boy, I amuse myself sometimes! Ive been listening to too many friends telling me about world of warcraft...

sorry, wont happen again. :tazz:

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

he was using the onboard originally.  it wasnt up to par to run his newer games.  these games are not even resource hungry, it was just too much for the onboard video.

View Post

Sorry, I must have completely missed that bit, b*gger!
I'll have a read back over the early posts again to look for the pci toggle thing.

dogbiscuit, just to be safe, a torch is a flashlight.  thats brit speak.  please dont wrap an old shirt around a stick, dip it in gas, and light it up! :help:

View Post

Jeez, you are SOOOO witty! :tazz:

Not my fault you yanks don't talk proper English, like what I does. ;)

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Im sorry samm, truth is I actually love the british accent, and am frequently amused by the little language differences. one of my coworkers is a brit w*nker, and we have lots of fun picking on him sometimes too.

my friends have been prattling on endlessly about WoW, trying to get me to play. if I do, that will be the end of me...but obviously they are working into my brain! when I saw you say torch...well, yeah.

right, lets bang on, and get him sorted! :tazz:

Edited by audioboy, 05 June 2005 - 06:21 PM.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Posted Image

sorry had to do it :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
No worries Audioboy, I'll get my own back anyway, one day when you're not expecting it!

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted Image
sorry had to do it  :tazz:

View Post

OMG, hilarious!

and now samm is plotting revenge on me. another cloud of doom hanging over my head. sweet. good thing Im paranoid...

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Samm's nice :tazz:

and cute too ;)

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Re what cards might stand a chance of working...
I found this in the mobo manual : List of compatible video cards..

Model Chipset Memory Manufacture
3D BLASTER GeForce 32M Creative CT6940
ATI PERMEDIA 2 8M WinFast 3D L2300
GeForce 256 32M ASUS V6600
GeForce 2 MX 32M ASUS AGP-V7100
GeForce 2 GTS DDR 32M ASUS AGP-7700D
GeForce 2 GTS DDR 32M ELSA GLADIAC
GeForce 2 GTS 32M WinFast
GeForce 2 MX 32M WinFast
Matrox Productiva G100 8M Matrox
Matrox Millennium G200 8M TAGRAM
NVIDIA GeForce 256 DDR 32M ASUS V6800
NVIDIA GeForce 256 32M Creative CT6970
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Vanta 32M Top solution
RIVA TNT2 M64 16M PixelView
RIVA TNT 16M WinFast 3D S320
RIVA TNT2 32M ASUS AGP-V3800
RIVA TNT2 32M Creative CT6810

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
LMAO!!!

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
samm, you continue to amaze me. Ive said it before, and I'll say it again.
smart chicks are cool! :tazz:

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Well thank you Audioboy but I'm not smart....I'm a bl**dy genius! :tazz:

dogbiscuit

dogbiscuit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Samm, you are good! I wasn't actually using onboard originally. I think this post is so long now some of the details are getting a little muddled. I think I mentioned in my first post that I bought this card to replace an older graphics card that worked ok but it's spec wasn't up to running the newer games (like fifa).
The old card was a PCI card, so I do have a spare PCI slot now. Also I have just had a look at everest again and it states I have AGP version 2.00 with supported speeds of 1 times and 2 times. The box that my new card came in says it supports AGP 2,4 and 8 times.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I suspected your last video card was an addon card, not integrated, but didn't realise it was PCI, I assumed it would have been agp.

I think that in this case, maybe your best bet is to buy another PCI card instead. If you can find one thats a close match to one of the ones I listed earlier (ie same chipset) but PCI version, then that may work.

The only other thing you could try, and this is not ideal I know but it won't cost you anything either, is to use the integrated video. According to the manual, you can assign upto 64MB of shared memory to the onboard video card. This won't make it as fast as an off-board 64MB card but it might just be enough.

dogbiscuit

dogbiscuit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Ok. A new card it is then. Is onboard video different from onboard graphics? At one point I tried uninstalling the card and running fifa but it didn't work. It just said it requires a graphic accelerator to run.
So do you think that if I find a card very similar to the one I've got, but PCI version, then that would do. I'm thinking maybe going for a totally different card, maybe Radeon, just in case it's something to do with nvidea.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
almost every supported card on that list is nvidia. probably a partnership they had set up.
I had a look around newegg.com, found a card\ that might work. its based on the geforce2 chipset, but is still a step up...
samm, do you think that would work?

heres the whole list of PCI cards from newegg.