Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XPProtector and more

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

DannyDeVito

DannyDeVito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ok sorry, that took a while ! I have followed your steps. I have discovered that SSDP microsoft service is causing the hold up. Apparently i may disable it but may loose some services. Where do we go from here ? Thanks . Danny

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Are you running a home network ? First set the service to manual, do you know how to do this ?

There are instructions on how to do it here with a list of services here

DannyDeVito

DannyDeVito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Are you running a home network ? First set the service to manual, do you know how to do this ?

There are instructions on how to do it here with a list of services here

I use my laptop sometimes through the router but not using a network. Ok service set to manual, trying a reboot

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I have it set to manual on my system

DannyDeVito

DannyDeVito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
So i set it to manual. Then under msconfig i enabled it again then reboot. The delay is back and under services status it is 'started' even though startup type is 'Manual'

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK now put it to disabled and then reboot - check that your internet is running OK

DannyDeVito

DannyDeVito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ha! Success it boots quite well.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK let it run for a day or so - and if no further problems let me know :)

DannyDeVito

DannyDeVito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

OK let it run for a day or so - and if no further problems let me know :)

Well boot is fine, thanks for that !. I think there is still delays, like opening media player or right click on files it takes some time before the menu opens, but not everytime. I don't think that wil be resolved though. So the last thing really is the cpu temp

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Ah the CPU temp is a tad beyond my knowledge base - I would recommend that you post in this forum to get a tech to assist you. If you post the link when done I will give the techs a heads up :)

Advertisements

DannyDeVito

DannyDeVito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Ah the CPU temp is a tad beyond my knowledge base - I would recommend that you post in this forum to get a tech to assist you. If you post the link when done I will give the techs a heads up :)

http://www.geekstogo...-thermal-paste/

Just reading this recent post, It seems my case is pretty poor ventilation, the only fan is two on the psu, and the psu seems quite hot. So i might start with replacing that then get new paste on cpu then make some holes and fit some more fans. That may take till christmas so i'll say thanks for helping me and best luck for the future ! Danny

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.